Old 04-05-2013   #1
Pacific, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2000
Quick fix for a small water leak in a Mariner 4.

I've noticed a bit of water in the bottom of my Mariner 4 the past couple of floats, when flipping it over and carrying it on my back up the boat ramps. Not much, but it seemed like more than was coming from my soggy shoes.

I aired it up and set it on the rails of my porch and poured a tote full of water in it. Pretty quickly I found a fairly small (less than 1/32-1/64 of an inch) hole in the bottom of my boat.

The way my boat is made, the bottom of the boat doesn't inflate. It's just like a thick tarp material with a long tube that inflates down the middle. The hard floor sits on top of that. It's surprisingly sturdy. But what that amounts to is there is an empty space below the floorboard. It's not inflated. It's just a thin empty space.

But after 15 or so miles down the river there's about a pitcher of water down there. It's not a huge deal, it never even comes over the floorboards. But I'd just like to patch it up.

I'm floating early tomorrow morning. Any ideas on something I could pick up at walmart, on the way to the river, and slap on it? It's in a place I can see and easily get to. I was thinking of one of those little, round, bike tire patches, but I read several google reviews suggesting that they don't stick to raft pvc like mine. I've also got plenty of duck tape, but... does that really work?

Any suggestions from the pros?

mattj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'd your raft is made from air mattress material? Use the vinyl cement that comes with a PVC pool toy. I think it works on most pvc

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1992
This would be my first choice for a pinhole:
Tear-Aid Patch - Type A at

Especially if you are able to apply it on the inside.
Utah Whitewater Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #4
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Utah Whitewater Gear View Post
This would be my first choice for a pinhole:
Tear-Aid Patch - Type A at

Especially if you are able to apply it on the inside.
want type-b for a mariner.. It's vinyl. (pool toy's all get type-b)
type-A for your NRS/AIRE Etc.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #5
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I've said before that I mainly crappie fish in lakes with the same boat, some calm water rivers with long pools-It's a good little boat-best in the price range and is a useful part of my "quiver", but it doesn't fare well with pointy stuff....

It shoulda come with a small patch kit-a couple round patches and a small tube of glue that will likely be dried up already.

But get the tear aid....get lots of it. You will repairing the boat alot. Keep some duct tape around too and I even got a kayak bilge pump to bail with as a gallon or so of water really drags the trolling motor down. I typically end up repairing the boat in some form every 3 trips or so.

If you haven't already discovered them, here are some pointers: Use the ruler provided (a ruler) to measure the 10cm marking on the tube for proper inflation and becareful of hot days, or dragging the boat outta water where the tubes will get hot....the boat will blow the bulkheads easily. Also the oars-don't hardley crank down on the screw lock at all-they snap soooo easily.

I may sound like I'm dogging it but overall It's held up well, but every once and awhile you'll take it out and the floor will look like a B2 bomber that took anti aircraft fire from below. Just take care of it and use it for what it is for.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote