Old 10-18-2011   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Quick cat oar tower position question

I've recently come across the opportunity to buy a cat for an awesome price (either an Ocelot or perhaps a WD, though I'm not sure if I can get the deal on a WD, even though that would be my preference given the option).

I have always rowed a raft, currently own a 156R AIRE so have my gear hauling needs covered. I'm looking to put together something pretty sporty.

My question is that in doing research, I have noticed that most cat frames (at least on the Ocelot and WD it seems) put the oar towers fairly far forward of center. Is this so that the rower's weight is centered mid-tube? It seems like this would affect the ability to pivot, but I'm new to this whole cat thing and figured I'd see what the deal is.

Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
centering the mass is more important than centering the pivot point especially on a small boat.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #3
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you referring to what I've heard called the "Idaho Cat" arrangment?
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #4
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Gear boats you typically center the oars. Small boats without gear its easier to turn. You typically want your CG just front of center, which makes the cat handle better and more stable, IMO
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #5
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
The rower seated forward helps with having more weight in front to help punch holes. Another benefit is that it's much easier to land the boat in fast current, as it's easier to step off and grab the boat with only one person in a hot landing situation.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have always preferred rowing from a centered position, whether loaded with gear or on a day run. I have friends who like the forward rowing position for some of the reasons mentioned above. I have tried it, but didn't like it. To me it felt like the tail wagging the dog so to speak. I feel like I can pivot, push, pull, ferry, etc. better from the center. This is just my personal preference after trying both.
In looking at the photos on the Madcatr website for reference, it looks like most of the class IV - V cat boaters pictured are either centered or slightly forward of center. However, I have seen many Cat boaters on the Payette more forward. I'd say try a few different rowing positions to see what you like. If you're rowing a playcat without gear, you have more leeway to move your frame around to try different things.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #7
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone. That is helpful info, coming from a gear hauling 16 ft raft I've always centered my oar towers like Avatard mentioned.

It seems like a cat is different in that you must balance your load properly. I appreciate the info!
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #8
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Many two seater cats I see still have the rower in front - its not just about balance. Another factor in play is favoring a pushing style of rowing. Rowing up front makes shoving the boat through the rapids slightly better. An oar setup clear at the rear (like the setup many of us guide with) gives a slight advantage to pulling away strokes. Now understand these advantages are slight.

Speaking for myself I like pushing the boat. Combine that with the natural advantage pulling already has and I decided to throw a little help to the push game.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote