Old 05-01-2009   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quality control question

Hi, new to the board and the sport. My wife and I just bought two kayaks, I got a Liquid Logic Hoss and my wife got a Wave Sport EZG 42. The Hoss seems like the parts and pieces are good quality but the assembly looks like a tweaker in a big hurry put the damn thing together, is this typical? I wanted to move the seat back and it wouldn’t move so I pulled it out, the adjustment plates on either side both said “L”, I drilled the rivets and flipped it over and there was an “R” on the other side but it seems a little ridiculous to me. Also all of the anodized aluminum brackets are scratched all to hell from the assembler jamming screws in and going to town. I got a good deal on the boat at $600 because it’s an older model, but I wouldn’t think I would have to fix anything on a brand new boat. Anyways I got everything fixed and we’re taking them out this weekend.

Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I wouldnt think you would have to work on a new boat. Was it a second from the company? Cause then that woud make sence that it would be like that and why you got such a killer deal.

youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado
That’s a good point but he didn’t say it was a second at the shop. He told me it was a discontinued older model that he was trying to get rid of. Oh well I fixed it I was just wondering if this was typical. Thank you for the response.
Old 05-03-2009   #4
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
It's not typical, but my buddy ordered a boat from LL that arrived with 2 right thigh braces. Don't know much about their processes, but LL makes good boats, just as most major companies do, and while a little QC could prevent this stuff, no harm really.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted by tellutwurp View Post
It's not typical... but LL makes good boats...

Thank you. That was the biggest concern I had, I’d hate to find out I got a crappy boat.
Old 05-03-2009   #6
Leadvillian, Colorado
the biggest favor you could do them is to send them an email with your exact concerns and include the model, serial number, and the shop where you bought it

all of the companies are trying to cut costs wherever possible and unfortunately a bad assemby guy can effect a lot of boats before anyone is aware, but I definately agree with tellutwerp that is not the norm for LL

nice work correcting the problem instead of using it poorly assembled until it was leaky and eventually broken

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote