Old 05-07-2011   #1
Canton, Georgia
Pyranha Karnali vs Wavesport Diesel vs Remix

Sorry for another comparison thread... I know I should try these out myself and pick which one I like and I fully intend on doing that. However, I'm just now getting into whitewater and so I don't fully know how to compare these and make an educated guess on what will be better for me in the long run...

I have sat in all of these and paddled the Remix. I like the Remix, it's pretty comfy and seems easy to paddle. I currently do 1-2 night camping trips in my touring kayak, so that may be an option in my whitewater boat too. The Remix seemed to be very hard to get gear in the back of. I pushed the backband all the way forward, but getting my 35L drybag back there with it filled even half way up was a task.

The Diesel was *super* comfy. I really, really liked the thigh braces on this boat. It had very easy access to the rear to throw my gear back there. I really like how this boat felt, but I have yet to paddle it.

The Karnali had OK comfort. It didn't feel "uncomfortable". The one thing I noticed immediately was that my knees had a lot of room in those thigh braces and I would have to do some additional outfitting to make myself feel more secure in this boat. I liked how I could easily get into the rear for storage as well. I liked how this boat has clip on areas around it to lash equipment to and such...

Overall, just from sitting in these boats, I liked the Diesel the most. I felt like it fit me very well. However, this is where I need help. For a beginner that will be taking classes next month and really has only paddled flat water for over a year and some Class I-II stuff mostly, what should I look for apart from this?

I have read the Remix is very forgiving and beginner friendly. I have read the same thing about the Karnali. However, I'm not sure about the Diesel... Is it a good learner boat? I can see the hull has more defined edges than both the Karnali and Remix. Will that present a problem for a beginner?

I plan on doing mostly river running and probably light creeking when I get comfortable. I'd like the boat to allow me to grow with it for at least the next 2 years as I start to learn. I would like it to be forgiving enough so that I don't become discourage easily by it, but not overly forgiving so that I develop bad habits... Am I asking too much?

Any suggestions between these three for a guy in my position?

intargc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #2
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Get the one you're most comfy in. You really can't go wrong here as they are just different takes on the same theme. Buy one, go paddling and don't look back!

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The best way to figure out what boat to get is to try each one. If you like the feel of the Remix then you will probably really enjoy the Karnali as well. The Diesel will give you a similar feeling, but it will paddle even more like a playboat with the flat hull. All the boats will be a great boat to learn in, but you really just have to pick the boat that you feel the most comfortable with. Just to let you know, Liquid Logic has retooled their backband for 2011 and now you can lift it up and out of the way for putting gear in the back. If you are going to be in Colorado at all in the near future, come on down to CKS in Buena Vista and you can try all of the boats in question! Good luck!
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote