Old 10-07-2012   #1
Pyranha Karnali

Looking for a new creek boat. Had a burn which I loved but saw a great deal on a new Karnali. Any thoughts on this boat. Always hate to buy without demoing. How much less responsive than a burn will it be?

airbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #2
You can probably search to find better responses, but, in short, great boat. More stable, holds a line better, runs the meat just as well as a Burn. Faster. I really liked this boat... Tina paddles one and loves it.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I paddled a large Karnali for about a year and loved it. Its really fast, stable, rolls easy. It has a soft edge, but felt very nimble for a large boat. Best for big water, but works surprisingly well for small creeks. Holds overnight gear really well too. Only downsides are that it is a bit harder to boof than many modern creeker due to the lower rocker, the outfitting feels a little flimsy compared to my Stomper, and once you break it, you are SOL (no warranty as far as I can tell). If you are getting a really good deal, I say go for it.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #4
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm a longtime Burn paddler and also have a Karnali in the quiver.
My thoughts on the L Karnali vs L Burn that it:
-Feels slightly smaller and lower volume
-Turns easier and is a bit more stable
-Is easier to paddle and keep on line, especially on low volume runs
The cons are that the Karnali just feels like a lower performance boat. Kinda like the Jefe but not as bad. My paddle strokes have to be more quick and I can't rely as much on the edges to have that snappy, responsive feel. Therefore, the Burn gets paddled much more. It's just more fun.
Recently switched to the Shiva and I'm having a lot of fun with that. Similar to the Karnali in that it feels a bit "lower performance" (less edges) but the extra length and volume are pretty nice to have especially in pushy rivers.

Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #5
My thoughts on the L Karnali vs L Burn that it:
-Feels slightly smaller and lower volume
-Turns easier and is a bit more stable
Wow, we have different thoughts on this. The "feels slightly smaller and lower volume" is only in relation to the modern/updated Burn I believe. If you are use to the original L Burn, then the L Karnali will feel bigger. (We've owned and paddled all three boats).

IMO, the Karnali holds a line better, and is harder to turn for last moment corrections... whereas the Burn turns all the freaking time, yet can perform the ever elusive and badass, high performance downstream carve, and can make corrections anywhere and everywhere.

Although I disagree with the wording (and performance), I know exactly what you are saying about the Karnali feeling like a "lower performance boat." My biggest complaint about the Karnali was that I literally stopped flipping for most of a season, and it freaked me out. It is so stable, that I too thought I just wasn't as sporty... so I told Tina to buy a Karnali and I bought the 2nd edition Large Burn and consequently started hitting my regular roll ratio again with a much edgier (aka high performance) boat. I love the Burn for the carving feel, but honestly, for the average aspiring class V paddler, I think the Karnali is a better boat. It's user friendly.

Thus, the Shiva stole some serious elements from the Karnali. Undecided as to which one of those boats I like more still.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #6
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Can anyone compare the Karnali to the Everest?
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #7
york, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2012
The everest is basically an xl burn. Same as the burn just bigger pretty much so comparing that after the burn was compared is kind of not neccassary. In some reviews of the burn they reviewed the burn and everest at the same time since the everest is pretty much just an expedition/large person version of the burn
skiyaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #8
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You really just want a Shiva. It's the best of all worlds. The edges are softer than the Burn for sure, but it's still super responsive and more stable in the low water mank.

Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote