Old 02-07-2013   #1
truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1988
pyranha-burn vs. shiva

I am looking to upgrade my creek boat this spring. I have had an H3 for years. It's profile is very similar to the burn with heavy chines on the hull. I am considering the shiva with less chines and softer hull. Anybody have any experience with both boats or the transition from chines to softer hulls. Should I stick to what I know and like or will I miss the out on trying that will increase my stoke on the water?

mountainsurf5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #2
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have both, and I tend to use them for different missions.

The Burn is sharper, shorter and lighter, making it good for tight, technical runs that have a long walk. It's also more handy in big water because you can bite the edge into the climbing face of a wave.

The Shiva is longer, rounder and heavier. This boat is all about the big drops, punching big holes and getting up to speed in 2-3 strokes. It's not that great in big water or carving runs through tight boulder gardens. It is great in hole fields, though, as the bee stinger will do the watermelon seed effect coming through holes. Landing big boofs (and this thing crushes) is much easier on the back with the rounded hull.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
So i went back and forth on this one too, and in the end I went with the Shiva. I have not been disappointed, but I do agree with the comments about the big water characteristics.
Not to long ago I wrote an end of season review on my blog. Please take a look, maybe it will give you some more bits to think about about while you make your decision: The RiverVibe Review: Shiva End of Season Review

As always, try them both on a run you're familiar with. Comfort is key!
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote