Old 07-06-2009   #1
Pyranha Ammo - got one? Like it or hate it?

Just wondering about those out there that have an Ammo. I am considering this boat but just wanted to hear about your experiences with the boat. Like it and why? Hate it and why? Might try to demo one soon as it looks like a fun little boat. Any info or opinions you have would be welcomed. Thanks!

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I "swapped" my Jefe for an Ammo at Paddlefest this year, because the Jefe was a little large for me (135lbs). I was having trouble rolling it in difficult situations. The Ammo is sized more appropriately for me (I got a small). It definitely gets tossed around more in big water, and tends to squirt as I am punching holes, but the handling responds very quickly and I have not missed a roll yet in it.
Hope that helps.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #3
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Convinced my wife to buy one this year since she was jonesin' for a new boat. She absolutely LOVES it...easy to roll, super stable, she's punchin' stuff she would have usually rather avoided.

A buddy of mine paddles one on just about EVERYTHING.....from playparks to the Big South.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #4
Rocky Mountains, Canyons
Paddling Since: 1999
Got a new one this spring after 2 runs on the Lochsa with a demo last fall. Used it a few times on a local class 4 creek - at more normal flows and once at the highest I've ever seen it run. I've used it on the lochsa several times this spring, and I just got off the Selway. It surfs great, and I'll never use my Blunt again.
wyomont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #5
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I got a large Ammo at the beginning of this year. Can't really speak to it's ability as a hard creek boat or playboat as I don't know a thing about either one of those. I have used it on runs as varied as LSB at 430 cfs, Pine Cr at 1600, and the Gorge at 2700. I have another large creek boat but I almost always grab the Ammo unless I really want ultra stability. It's a great all-around boat, surfs great, rolls very easily. I've been back-endered a time or two but I'm not sure in those situations if it wouldn't have happened even if I'd been in another boat. It's very quick to carve into small eddies but the edges don't seem to be really grabby in bigger water either. I weigh about 185. So I'm pretty happy with it and think it would fit a wide range of paddlers.

I imagine the smaller sizes would feel and react quite a bit differently than the big boy model.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote