Pyranha 9RL - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2016   #31

Boise, Idaho
Finally got to paddle the 9RL a bit this weekend.

Not sure what to make of it. I had a hard time getting consistent feedback from it. In other words, there were times when I thought it would act a certain way, and then in the next feature it acted completely different. I imagine 99% of that is boater input - trying to figure out how it works and how to drive it, and then interpreting the results. I also did not fiddle much with seat position, so that may have some effect as well.

So here are some thoughts - take it with a huge grain of salt:

1. Yes, it's fast. Both in flat water and through rapids. But it's particularly when flat and in a straight line - I felt it was less fast on angle.

2. It boofs better than any other boat I've tried boofing in.

3. It can't surf at all. I had a really hard time keeping it pointed upriver, both when entering a wave or even when I caught the wave. I usually don't have this problem.

4. It wants to stay straight in current and whitewater; it doesn't seem to like being off angle or sideways in rapids. It gets pushed around from the side, and the edge/deck right at the hip will catch you if you're not paying attention.

5. It's pretty loose with primary stability, but has a lot of secondary stability.

6. It will go up and over just about anything; I'm not sure I ever got the bow wet.

Overall, I would need to spend a lot more time to really figure it out. I love some aspects of it, and did not like others. In that sense, it's hit/miss for me. It's not as versatile as the Karma, Mamba, or even the Zen, which I feel are very good boats in just about any type of water, and do just about everything well.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016   #32

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
3. It can't surf at all. I had a really hard time keeping it pointed upriver, both when entering a wave or even when I caught the wave. I usually don't have this problem.
While I personally would have this issue, I was watching a guy surf one the other day who was doing flat spins and sort of blunting in one. It was insane to see. When asking about it, he helped me come to the realization that the key is to keep the boat as flat as possible while surfing. As soon as you drop an edge, it's carves out on you. I haven't tried surfing my Burn or 9R since, but I do want to see if I can do better by keeping the boat super flat.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #33

Boise, Idaho
Makes sense.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #34

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post

Funny, out of all the negatives I have about the boat I was able to do flat spins for days.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #35

Laramie, Wyoming
I'll trade my large for a medium if anyone wants to upsize.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote