Pyranha 9RL - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2016   #21

Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
PKH litmus paper for boat popularity

Renting kayaks at Pucon Kayak Hostel I've realized we are like litmus paper for kayak popularity and we have a great feel for he industry. I can tell you which kayak model rented double all other brands, which break and where, which are not renting,...

So, allow me to give you a perspective of what PKH is hearing about both 9R and Zet series.

Our Europeans love the Zet line and maybe the most popular boat for Europeans. Although, Americans don't know the Zets that well. Folks from eastern US most often don't even know the Toro, Raptor, Veloc or Director. And they especially don't know other Euro designs like Lettman and Spade Kayaks.

I hopped in a Toro and liked it so much I made it my personal Chile kayak and ordered Velocs', Toros, and Directors. Kayakers love them. Pros about Toros - Zets are known for revolutionary outfitting and longevity of kayak. I heard folks say this last round the plastic is weaker. I've only observed the Zets kicking holding up with no problems. The seat, knee and outfitting system is arguably the most revolutionary, comfortable and lightest in industry. I think some of the other Euro companies are copying.

When I hopped in a Toro from a slow Habitat (Chile boat) and Magnum (US boat) I could not help but be amazed by it's speed. It tracks and you can get off line. The speed was tough to handle on small creeks cause I'd often barge over lines and I had to figure out where to get aggressive. But that speed was remarkable on bigger water runs like Futa and just cruising others were always paddling to catch up.

PKH last year received lots of requests for the 9R but it is super tricky to get Pyranhas in Chile. Due to popularity I bought one this summer so I could fly it to Chile. Holy smoke the 9R is fast. And shockingly is easy to turn anywhere. That boat really cruises. I know the NOC instructors are all getting into the 9R.
I tend to agree about the outfitting and would recommend keeping a philips screwdriver in your 9R and staying on top of those screws. But I don't think the outfitting is so bad it'd stop me from buying that great design.

9R vs. Toro Head to Head
Honestly, I'd paddle either of these speedy high performance kayaks every day. If you've been in a Zet then you realize how remarkable that outfitting is. I'm curious to stack a Toro right next to a 9R and run them through a few performance tests.

I've also heard the 9R (large) is not as great as the medium. Anyone, got any feedback on that?

Keep Kayaking.

Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2016   #22

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
Agreed. I'm a similar weight, to be honest I didn't notice a huge speed difference between the 9R and the director though, other than the Zet feeling like a much more solid boat. The regular 9R is obviously the competition for the Toro. I've never paddled a toro but after paddling a director it HAS to be better than any pyranha.

If I was looking for a short "race" boat. I think I'd still opt for a remix or even the new jackson before a 9R.
Well, first of all the Toro and the Director aren't the same boat, or even close. Besides being bigger, the Director has chines that run the length of the boat, from stern to bow. The chines on the Toro are on the stern only; from the midpoint forward there are no chines or edges. The difference in how each perform is pretty distinct, too. The Director is PLANTED. It has the most primary stability of any boat I've ever paddled - almost to the point of being off-putting. The Toro was far more loose, but for more very unpredictable (which again could be just mostly because I'm too big for it).

I do know that Idaho paddlers are loving the Zet boats a ton.

But I'm not convinced either the Toro or Director are "race" boats built expressly for speed - they have a wider profile and seem to be built more built for stability and big water paddling. Whereas the entire point of the 9R seems to be for racing and speed.

The new Jackson is a ridiculous design. It looks like a longer Fun Runner. I'm not sure this design is going anywhere.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #23

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
I have seen it, but didn't care for it.
bystander hates fun!

Tell me its not fun.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2016   #24

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
bystander hates fun!

Tell me its not fun.
Yup, disliking Zoolander means I hate fun.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #25

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've really grown to like my large JK Zen this season.

It is not as forgiving as the Karma, but if you are driving it, it goes where you tell it nicely.

To the funrunner comment, are you looking at the Antic or the Nirvana?

The JK Nirvana is the new shirt race boat.

The Antic is what replaces the funrunner in the line up.

I'm stoked to try both, but the Antic seems like it might a tougher niche to justify. Like maybe 4th or fifth boat if your quiver were to run that deep.

I'd want his kind of boat for runs like Westwater or MFS, where I still want to be able to surf and squirt, but don't want to be packed into my Rockstar for the whole day.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #26

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I've really grown to like my large JK Zen this season.

It is not as forgiving as the Karma, but if you are driving it, it goes where you tell it nicely.

To the funrunner comment, are you looking at the Antic or the Nirvana?

The JK Nirvana is the new shirt race boat.

The Antic is what replaces the funrunner in the line up.

I'm stoked to try both, but the Antic seems like it might a tougher niche to justify. Like maybe 4th or fifth boat if your quiver were to run that deep.

I'd want his kind of boat for runs like Westwater or MFS, where I still want to be able to surf and squirt, but don't want to be packed into my Rockstar for the whole day.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
The Nirvana looks like a longer Fun Runner. It just looks like a really lame design.

The Antix could be cool, but in Jackson fashion they looked to have made it really wide which, in my mind, takes away the point and purpose of your ~7ft cartwheeling / squirting playboat (like the Loki, I3, EZ, etc.). I guess we'll see but it doesn't look narrow or loose enough to do what it seems to be designed to do. I think they did the same thing with the latest iteration of the Fun series.

Note: I paddle a Karma and Rock Star, so I'm not biased against Jackson.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #27

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The Nirvana looks like a longer Fun Runner. It just looks like a really lame design.

The Antix could be cool, but in Jackson fashion they looked to have made it really wide which, in my mind, takes away the point and purpose of your ~7ft cartwheeling / squirting playboat (like the Loki, I3, EZ, etc.). I guess we'll see but it doesn't look narrow or loose enough to do what it seems to be designed to do. I think they did the same thing with the latest iteration of the Fun series.

Note: I paddle a Karma and Rock Star, so I'm not biased against Jackson.
I didn't think being narrow helped with playboating. I thought that was a speed thing. I do think it's target audience is going to be small. It sounds like this is for big or steep water play. For doing cartwheels off waterfalls, and just playing on big features. It's like it's designed for the new pro boaters who have hit the ceiling on what they can run, but are now trying to have fun goofing off on these Class V runs.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #28
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Glue in a set of foam "knee blocks" to account for the thigh braces not being wrapped enough. Leland describes how to do it here: The River Gypsies: Foam Kneeblocks Tutorial, building foam kneeblocks for kayaking, boat outfitting. I've had to add these to every Pyranha boat that I have owned. As for the many holes and screws/bolts, I always carry a #3 pozidriv or phillips in the car/gear bag to keep them tight. They seem to loosen up from vibrations while on the roof rack. Regardless of all the hardware, I don't think the boat leaks at all. With a properly fit IR Klingon, my 9RL is "bone dry" at the end of the day.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #29
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Nice one. https://youtu.be/wC8y0HoopVE

That reference "went over my head". Zoolander is a funny movie. I haven't watched it enough to recognize the quotes.

https://youtu.be/452XjnaHr1A
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #30

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Loctite boys, loctite. Choose your color and get on with actually boating not typing. Put that pozidrive away for good.
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote