Pyranha 9RL - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2016   #11

Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
My feelings on the 9R is that it is a great boat, but only if you have the skills. It is a boat that will punish you harshly if your technique isn't on the ball or a bit lacking. But will reward you in spades if you are up to the task.

As others have mentioned, it likes to be paddled on edge. The edges are very sharp indeed, and if you are not careful and aware, and constantly driving it, can trip you up on every micro eddy. It's probably the most edge aware boat that I have paddled outside of a Corran Addison design.

For smaller paddlers it is like paddling a tank. They need a smaller one in the lineup.

SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016   #12

Denver, Colorado
Outfitting (besides seat) hasn't changed in 11 years. There's like 100 holes in the hull. Ok not really but I think I counted 23 when I demoed one. The hull shape is nice, everything else sucks. There's better options, the Toro being one.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #13

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
Outfitting (besides seat) hasn't changed in 11 years. There's like 100 holes in the hull. Ok not really but I think I counted 23 when I demoed one. The hull shape is nice, everything else sucks. There's better options, the Toro being one.
The Toro doesn't fit everyone that the 9RL will, though.

I'm at ~215lbs, and that's about the claimed upper limit of the Toro. In real life, it's too much and the Toro can't decide what sort of boat it wants to be. Heavier boaters will get pushed around and tripped up by the aggressive edges on the stern.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #14

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Even when they fit perfectly, I know several people who prefer the 9R. The Stanford Kayak Club has both boats, and their members fight over the 9R first. The Toro may be their 2nd favorite boat.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #15

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The Toro doesn't fit everyone that the 9RL will, though.

I'm at ~215lbs, and that's about the claimed upper limit of the Toro. In real life, it's too much and the Toro can't decide what sort of boat it wants to be. Heavier boaters will get pushed around and tripped up by the aggressive edges on the stern.
Agreed. I'm a similar weight, to be honest I didn't notice a huge speed difference between the 9R and the director though, other than the Zet feeling like a much more solid boat. The regular 9R is obviously the competition for the Toro. I've never paddled a toro but after paddling a director it HAS to be better than any pyranha.

If I was looking for a short "race" boat. I think I'd still opt for a remix or even the new jackson before a 9R.

I found the thigh hooks in the Pyranha severely lacking as well. My legs barely stay in them. There's bolts in the middle of the thigh hook that tore up my legs as well. Really Pyranha needs to make an investment in updating their outfitting. It's by far the worst on the market. They need to get rid of the funky keyhole shape because the boat was far from dry too.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #16

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
I found the thigh hooks in the Pyranha severely lacking as well. My legs barely stay in them. There's bolts in the middle of the thigh hook that tore up my legs as well. Really Pyranha needs to make an investment in updating their outfitting. It's by far the worst on the market. They need to get rid of the funky keyhole shape because the boat was far from dry too.
Of all the problems of the Pyranha boats outfitting, the thigh hooks don't even register. I, and a few others, have found the thigh hooks to be good on the Pyranha. It's the foot braces, seat and hip pads that are iffy.

Maybe it's a weight/size thing, or some faulty thigh braces that you've run into.
Old 08-03-2016   #17

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
Only one way to solve this.

Walk off!
I'd have to pull my underwear out of my ass to pull that off.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #18

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kennedy View Post
Nice troll...I'll take the bait.

I picked up a 9R L this season. I really like the boat. It paddles well and is fairly quick for a modern short boat. I have only paddled the Burn III in a M (too small), but I did own a Burn 1st gen and 2nd gen in Large. I have only paddled a Shiva in the M size (too small for me). I can tell you that they are not only all different in appearance and design, but they all paddle very differently (amazing concept, right?). I'm about 6'2", 200-210 lbs, size 11 feet...and I have been paddling an LL Stinger most of the time over the last 3 years. I have been paddling for a few decades plus now. I learned to stern squirt and boof in a Perception Sabre, and "creek" in a Corsica S. So, my opinion of "easy to turn/hold a line" and "boofability" ("boofiness"?) of boats is a bit skewed. I paddle mostly on class IV and friendly/familiar class V nowadays.

Burn: Great initial stability (flat hull). Carves into eddies decently due to defined rails/chines. Comparably slower than most modern boats. Gen 1 seemed faster and narrower, but people complained it had an edgy/trippy rail and didn't boof well. Gen 2 was wider with softer rails and more rocker, which made it a "slug" in my opinion. Gen 3 seems to be a compromise between the two. More effort to roll due to width/flat hull (and my poor technique). Flat hull makes it easy to turn with a stern draw, sweep and lean into the stroke.

Shiva: I have the least time in this boat, and only in a Medium. Less initial stability, due to the rounder hull and sides. High volume bow seems to surface well. Less carve and more "mush" into and out of eddies. Seems like it is easier to roll (personal experience aside), due to rounded sides. Medium speed in downriver paddling. Turns better with a bow draw, lean into turn, or flat spin and use the rocker.

9R: Large has good initial stability (it is wider than the med, and width carries further behind the seat). Carves into/across/out of eddies like a machine! Bow stays on top of the water better than any boat I have ever paddled. As one of the design considerations was class V races and/or short boat class in downriver races, it is fast for a 9' boat (fastest guy in a slow boat?). It rolls well (in flat water, so far). Turns well with a bow draw, stern draw, carve.

Also, I used to paddle a Remix 79 as my creek/short boat. I like the speedy carving of the 9R L better than the speedy slipping hull of the Remix. The 9R stays above the surface and boofs a good bit easier than the Remix due to the bow rocker/deflectors and more volume in the bow.

As far as "only one look", they all are offered in the same color options, and the font used on the "Pyranha" logo is exactly the same across all designs. *Continue current course of "crazy pills" daily, until symptoms abate or renewal of prescription is required.

TK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Yeah, you are taking crazy pills. All 3 are quite different. The Burn has a simi planing hull, while the Shiva has a displacement hull. The Burn is shorter and wider than the 9R for more stability and the 9R is built for speed.
I take it that you guys hate fun. Ever watch Zoolander?
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #19

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I've heard that the lovers of the 9R aren't really that stoked on the 9RL. If you're too big for the 9R you'll want to spend time in the 9RL and decide if you like it. The new L Zen is worth a try too. Very fast like the 9R but won't punish mistakes as quickly...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #20

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I take it that you guys hate fun. Ever watch Zoolander?
I have seen it, but didn't care for it.