View Poll Results: What do you think of the 420?
Sucks! 0 0%
Schweet! 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2006   #1
Paddling Since: 1993
Pyranha 420, Initial Impressions (part I)

So I got my new 420 S/M in the mail about a week ago and I wanted to update everyone on my thoughts so far. First off I am 175 lbs right now and will drop to 170 lbs mid season. I have a 31 inch inseam and size 11 feet.

The fit of this boat is superb. With the seat in the middle position I have just enough room to fit in the boat. With the seat back (approximately 1-1.5") This boat is comfortable enough for long river trips and can fit a substantially longer inseam and bigger feet. What I love is my ability to put my feet in this boat without pain, just ample room for the dogs.

:P Outfitting is great. Over the years Pyranha has really refined the syncro outfitting and this year I think they hit it. Last year I had an issue with the webbing of the backband digging into my sides, but the new setup doesnt even come close to getting me. This boat also comes in under 30 lbs. The hull support is in my opinion one of the best on the market, very functional and very lite. Finally just no Bulls#@& outfitting, this stuff is designed to last. With very few moving parts I expect to have no problems with breakage this year.

Flatwater paddling is not what I bought this boat for but since I have not had an opportunity to get on moving water, this is what you get. This boat is as fun in the flats as my old kingpin icon, which until now I regarded as the best flatwater boat around. The 420 is super stable on end and has the best feeling stern I have ever put on. The stern is easy to clean in the flats but has the required volume to keep your back out of the water. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the wavesport zg stern (to much volume but great feel) and the pyranha s6 stern (fun, but small). This boat also flatwater loops and throws endless cartwheel.

I am very excited to get this baby on moving water to provide greater feedback, but until then give on a try at your local pool session.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I've paddled the 420 on flatwater a little bit and I did not feel that it was "schweet," but nor did I think it sucked. Admittedly, I may not have liked it as much because of the fit: I'm 140 and 5'1", possibly a little smaller than the targeted audience. As a result, I didn't feel as much of the stability when on end. I was very impressed with the hullspeed; it feels much faster than Pyranha's previous boats (S6F, S6, Inazone, etc.). It will definately be the best boat Pyranha is yet to offer for big, fast waves, and has the right volume distribution for some good hole play. However, I didn't feel it held an edge as well, and tended to wash out easier than some of the edgier boats. The outfitting was nice and eliminating the approximately 4 zillion pieces of the S6 and S6F was a good call. However, I was not able to get as tight of fit as in their previous generations (I absolutely love the wrap around thigh braces of the S6 and was disappointed to see a different setup in the 420). Very light boat! All in all, I think it's a great playboat with some river-play cross-over, but I didn't like the way it edged and turned, which concerned me about its river-running capabilities.

For reference, I used to paddle an Inazone 212 and loved it. I now paddle the S6 190, which has been the best all around boat I have paddled; great for everything from fast waves and aerials to hole playing to big water river-running and some easy style creeking.

My $.02.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #3
dropzone, Colorado
I just paddled a M/L 420 down the new river gorge yesterday and it was a lot of fun. It has been a while since I have been in a playboat, so I wasn't used to the edginess coming from my gus. However, this boat seemed to be relatively fast for its length. I could catch the same waves with ease that my friends in longer dagger juice's were surfing.

The volume in the stern seemed to add some stability in the big water class IV keeney's rapids on the new. It was nice not to have to worry too much about getting back endered by a huge haystack in the middle of those rapids. Also, the boat was easy to ferry and peel out of eddies with, even at a little over 200 lbs, without pearling the bow. Seems like a solid boat. The only thing that I did not like was that there are two screws holding the thigh braces in on the side of the boat that made my skirt not seal well, and I got a lot of water in the boat. I think I would have to get a mountain surf duroring or a bungee skirt to aviod this problem.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #4
student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
they are sick i have an s6f and i paddled a 420 and loved it just as much as i love my s6f good choice
you know sometimes i wish i would have chosen something like baseball but, i didn't and i'm a kayaker so this is what i do." -Nick Turner (Wehyakin)
vaultman14 is offline   Reply With Quote