Old 07-19-2012   #11
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by bozboat View Post
I am thinking of gluing two 6'X1' strips of PVC along each tube of my Superpuma to act as a rub guard for the fishing frame. Any suggestions or tips for rolling out a big piece of plastic like that smoothly? I'm going to use Stabond as an adhesive. Should I deflate the boat and glue it when flat, or keep it inflated and glue to the rounded tubes? Which technique would allow for the best bond? Any tips would be appreciated.
Carpet runners from Home Depot in between the frame and rubber will work. The frame strapped tight hold them in place. Stylish and inexpensive and provides for good no-slip footing when stepping on the tubes.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #12
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
you can also use a hair dryer or heat gun to reactivate the glue-don't have to fool with more MEK or trying to line it up as you apply the tacky materials together. Jacks Plastic Welding has an excellent section on heat reactivation for PVC glues on their website. MEK reactivation works great too, but I am finding heat to be easier, especially for innie/outie patches, just don't let the glue get too dry or put too much heat on it

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #13
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I thought about putting some chafe strips on my super duper puma, but then I realized, the entire outer hull is the "chafe strip" you can rub the outer pvc coating down to the woven material and it won't leak, its not the air holding chamber. Best idea is to nut up and send it to aire for a little re-hab, then it will probably last you many many many years.

shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote