Old 06-02-2011   #1
Prijon Pure (Small) Review

So if you check previous posts, you will see a review of the Prijon Pure from a real creek boater. But even though I'm not a class V boater, I thought I would share my thoughts following my demo of the Prijon Pure, small edition, on the Ark last weekend during Paddlefest.

Me: I am 5’9”, 145 lbs. I prefer to boat class IV water, but occasionally run harder stuff, such as Pine Creek on the Ark; Black Rock on Clear Creek; and No Name and Rockwood Box on the Upper Animas (all class IV+ to V- depending on the flow).

Boats I’ve owned: Over the past 5 years or so, I’ve owned and paddled the following boats: Eskimo Salto; Liquid Logic Little Joe; Perception Blaze; and the small Pyranha Ammo. I have also demoed the Burn, the Mamba, the Diesel, the Remix, and the Embudo.

Boat Review: I demoed the Prijon Pure Small on the Granite and Numbers sections of the Arkansas River with flows around 1000 c.f.s. I walked Pine Creek, but tried to find holes to punch and occasional rocks to boof.

The outfitting on this boat is top-notch. Having owned other German boats (i.e., the Fly, Kendo evolution, and the Salto) all I can say is that Prijon’s outfitting puts the outfitting of those other boats to shame. I love not having a center pillar, both for comfort and for safety. And no boat I’ve owned has had a backband as comfortable and well-positioned for my body type than the Pure.

The seat is easy to adjust, as are the thigh braces, which fit my (admittedly skinny) thighs well. I would probably put some adhesive padding on the thigh braces, but even without padding the thigh braces are comfortable. The boat’s padded bulkhead adjusts easily by pulling on straps running along the inside of the front of the boat. Put simply, I haven’t owned or paddled a boat that is easier to adjust and fits me as well as the Pure (although the Ammo is close).

Because the Pure has a displacement hull and I am used to paddling planning hull boats, it took me a while to get the Pure dialed in. The Pure is not as snappy as my Ammo with its more pronounced edges, but the Pure is still very easy to turn, while able to hold a line like nobody’s business. I don’t know if it was the Pure’s rocker, its deck profile, or its length (or all of these), but I sailed through through and over holes that I would need to paddle through or out of in my Ammo.
Unlike other bigger boats that I’ve paddled (i.e, the Remix), I didn’t find the Pure to be tippy or corky at all. The Pure seemed to have great secondary stability, but I never really came close to flipping. As a result, I never had to try a combat roll, but when I intentionally flipped so I could roll, I found rolling the Pure to be effortless.
Needless to say, Prijon’s plastic is legendary, so there is no question that the Pure is a great value and durable.
All in all, I give the Pure a 9.5 to 10. I simply haven't done hard core creeking, but it seems well designed for those types of runs, as well as for tight technical creeks and harder big water runs. Put simply, whether you are looking for a boat for bigger water, hard core creeking, or just a boat that is comfortable and easy to paddle, check out the Pure. You won’t be disappointed.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote