Old 06-22-2016   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Sorry Aroberts, your're doing it wrong, this is the place where we nitpick the review, not ask follow up questions.

Now KSC, let's talk about your dreadful font choices...

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #12
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Sorry Aroberts, your're doing it wrong, this is the place where we nitpick the review, not ask follow up questions.

Now KSC, let's talk about your dreadful font choices...

How can any one take any review serious without seeing how it performs on multiple Spirit laps from multiple different angles. Please include bow mount, stern, helmet as well as HD quality from a unbiased 3rd party at the lip as well as from the landing. Please include credentials from said unbiased 3rd party.

This is common knowledge!

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #13
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998

You should totally watch this movie and change you blog font accordingly.

Sorry if I bailed on you in Gore once or can off as offensive in my posts.

On that note, if you are ever in Cali and looking for a paddling crew message me. We can go shrop drop the gnar and we can take photos together in my Daisy Duke shorts for your new blog!

~ B
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #14
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Great review. I been wanting a Cali but its hard to justify as my Pure XL is holding up just fine. On year 5 of Colorado creek (mank) boating while most of my friends have gone through 2 or 3 (non Prijon) boats in the same amount of time.

Interesting point on the top/ bottom seam. I wonder why they stopped using the nose cap on the Cali. I have smacked the bow a few times and have been glad to have the extra protection up front. (that's what she said)
SKeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #15
B.V., Colorado
Great review. I really like my Cali, but I'm not a fan of the outfitting. My original seat was too small. To there credit, Prijon sent me a new one ASAP, but I did not see much difference. I will be retrofitting mine with an old nomad seat. The cheesy rubber bands dry rotted about a month after receiving the boat. The seat pad is attached by staples and Velcro, this moves and wiggles around about an inch and a half while kayaking, it is very distracting and it is a performance issue. Some random bolts fell out yesterday and I have no idea where they go, I tightened everything I could find. I DO like the thigh braces, they are very aggressive.
Oh yeah, I already lost a drain plug.
The boat did feel a little long at first, but after a few paddles it felt better.
The boat does not feel light on the shoulder compared to other boats.
I like my Cali and will be keeping it for sure, but IMO the outfitting is sub par, especially after sitting in some of the other new boats out there.
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I heard from a reliable source that they're changing the seat entirely sometime soon on the Cali, but know nothing beyond that. Darin's pretty responsive if you contact him directly or through website / Facebook and I'm sure you can get details.

You're right that there was an initial issue with the seat not having enough friction and sliding around if you torqued it hard enough. They sent out some beefier hardware to install and I haven't had an issue since.

I actually haven't had an issue with the rubber bands - going on a little over a year - (though I'd kind of like to know a good source to replace them preventatively) and rather like them because they're so easy to pop in and out.

I haven't had any random bolt issues either, though I'm familiar with the problem from paddling Dagger - there always seem to be a few stray ones that end up floating around in the boat. I also haven't had any issues with the seat pad moving around.

All that said, I certainly agree the outfitting has plenty of room for improvement and have heard others express that they like the hull but dislike the outfitting. I hate the LL & Jackson outfitting so much I rated the Cali's in the middle. A lot of it's personal fit though.

I would also add that the outfitting is a hell of a lot easier to pull in and out than Dagger.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Ah, the allure of an indestructible mank boat. It lures Colorado mank paddlers like moths to the flame. After seeing the Cali yardsale through screaming quarter mile I can attest to its durability. Its nice red color allows it to be easily seen while floating haplessly without its owner. The HTP plastic was born to be broached.

Nice write up Kevin. Good info for paddlers considering this hard to demo / buy boat. I've seen more and more pure and cali models on the water and the owners seem to be happy with the boats and they certainly outlast the durability of their peers unless a big unmanned adventure prematurely ends its tour of duty.

But Buck brings up a good point... why not just focus on meaningless negative shit and try and be dicks to each other?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #18
I think the OP made a mistake and was referring to grinder not tinder.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #19
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
If they can figure the outfitting issues the Cali will be top 3 boat in my opinion. With the issues it makes it very hard to spend $1200+ on a boat when the first thing you want/need to do is find Dagger outfitting for it. It needs to be proven to be fixed for me and by proven I need some reviews after a year of 2 of people paddling it. I have a feeling by the time my Zet is done it will be perfect timing to pull the trigger on a Cali. Until then I have my Pure XL for mank but my Pure that has it's own issues. Kinda funny those issues are directly related to the seat. So Prijon has had seat issues for a awhile which is a major concern of mine.

There is no doubt Prijon has by far the best plastic in the industry. The Pure XL hull design is amazing so I have no doubt the Cali hull is amazing as well.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Kevin has been kick flipping his Cali off haystack waves every night as we rally black rock laps. Although this is deceiving of the boat's performance because he's one of the greasiest dudes in a creek boat here in the 303.

Some pics/vid would really compliment the review.

I tried the Cali last summer. Great hull shape and plastic. Found the outfitting sub par.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote