Old 07-16-2009   #1
Edmonton currently, RSA/CDN
Paddling Since: 1998
Powerhouse or Sherpa??

Hi all,
First post here, great forum!

I am a South African grad student in Canada (Edmonton, aka paddler purgatory!). I have paddled extensively for about 10 years and been a raft guide for most of that time too (SA, Ecuador, Canada). Done some boating in Idaho too.

Anyway, looking for some opinions on the Powerhouse and Sherpa. Other than the 2 Lendals I just broke in 27 days of paddling my last two paddles have been a Rough Stuff Kinetic bent and a Werner Side Kick straight shaft. I really like the Lendal Kinetic Xti blade, but the paddle quality is crap...

I am looking at a new Werner 197cm bent and need an allrounder. I run a variety of rivers, equal amounts of play and creek.

I am trying to decide between the Sherpa and Powerhouse? The PH sounds good, but I am not too sure about it suitability for play boating??

Any opinions....demos for paddles are thin on the ground in this city.

PS I am 6'4", 225lbs

Blyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I believe the only difference between the Sherpa & Powerhouse is the size of the blade. The Powerhouse is larger and is surely what you want over the Sherpa at your size. Especially given blade wear, your Powerhouse will be Sherpa size in a year anyway. Perhaps you're really debating between the Powerhouse (their river runner/creeking blade) and the Side Kick (their playboating blade). If you're doing equal parts playboating & creeking then the Side Kick is probably the way to go as it does great for creeking as well.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #3
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
As far as Powerhouse and Sherpa, I guess it depends what you are kayaking. I had a Sherpa and it's great for river running and can be used creeking, but the Powerhouse is better for it. I ended up getting a Powerhouse and don't think I'll go back to a Sherpa.

I'd decide what you plan on doing more, playing or creeking/river running. If you truly are going to do both equal amounts, try to find a way to afford two separate paddles.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote