Old 09-10-2008   #11
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Got the earlier version (adaptable to kayaks but intended for drybags, etc) about five years ago. Have used it a lot for packing raft stuff in and out of canyons and also for science fieldwork: hauling surveying stuff, tripods, you name it.

The only problem I've had is the straps loosening up as my load joggles. No broken buckles nor straps nor stitching. I tend to be careful with gear, which might be a factor.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #12
Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
Has anyone used this salamander thing? $150 dollars can buy me many things like a T-Tub or a Klink, put a dent in the price for a new Asrtial Green jacket, booties, cockpit covers, waterproof headphones and otter case for my Eee-pod, creeker floats, beer for a day or two (depending on my generosity on the river), a black diamond bivy sack, a pelican dive light and other odds and ends I need....

The main thing I want is something that I can stow in my yak during the trip, something that I wont be tempted to leave at the take out trash can, something that is bombproof.... but I may be asking for too much from such devices

BTW I use my Everest or Salto on an almost daily basis and my shoulders don't like the added stress of a kayak on them; before and after a day of paddleing... but one must evolve or die I guess...

Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #13
B.F.E., Wyoming
Go to sportsmans or somewhere that sells extremely cheap ass external frame packs.
Take the bag off the pack. Take a bunch of straps, strap the shit out of the boat and you have a kayak backpack.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Luke have you tried the idea? where the fuck are you going to put the frame after you pack in or where are you going to store it in your boat for a hike out?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #15
B.F.E., Wyoming
Shit i Don't know I was just guessing.seemed as though there was a lull in the conversation.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Sherpa SUCKS

Ahhh, wish I had found this thread when it started. I used a brand new Sherpa 1 time for an 8 mile hike-in with a loaded boat to do the Grand Canyon of the Elwha in WA. It needed an extra NRS strap just to work right at the start of the hike. By the time we got to the put-in, the buckles were failing and two of them snapped taking the thing off for the night. I should have burned it on the spot, but decided to try and send it back to NRS. No sympathy there. Their product sucks on this one. It's "one use" at best, and needs serious rethinking to work right in the first place.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #17
Bring back the Crawpack!

My Sherpa failed first time as well. Buckle wouldn't hold, kept popping off. This poorly made product is what put the Crawpack out of business. Cheap labor + cheap materials = POS. I think there's still a place in the market for the Crawpack. Have ads that say something like, ''When you're hiking in several miles to run some gnar, do you want to enrage yourself with some knockoff piece of shit made by some fuckheads in China? Or do you want a kick-ass product designed and made by a Colorado kayaker?'' I think Craw should dust the cobwebs off the production line and put me in charge of marketing.
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #18
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Search for the " craw pack" it's made by the craw (member of buzz). I have not heard of a late production runs, but I know he was selling them for around $100. He was using higher grade buckles and heavy duty hip belt. If you use search, craw pack, you will find them. PM marty aks the craw for more info
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #19
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I got a craw pack and love it, tried to get another as a gift and was told they are no longer in production. I believe it was the person Marty used for sewing or some part of production that made them not profitable for the batch orders he used to do.

But maybe with enough demand they could live again......
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #20
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Anybody got any photos of the CrawPack, either by itself or in action? If several paddlers all ordered at once, could/would he restart production?

So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote