Old 03-20-2014   #11
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
For the ice breaker mode, the best are toaster mitts AND poggies. Have tried most types & contrary to others find mitts have best paddle feel for really cold water. Thick gloves spread the fingers apart so you end up with a bulkier feel and mitts are just warmer. The poggies from WildWasser are the best, they have a gasket to keep the cuff from scooping water into the poggie. Work really well. As far as getting this combo on, yea it is a little combersome but what really gives you a shitty grip is frozen hands. I have a smaller shaft paddle for winter which makes the grip dia slmilar with the mitts.

I use pogies almost all the time, they give me secure feel with the paddle. If I partially loose my grip or the paddle gets twirled, they keep my hands right next to the paddle. I go to thin hydroskin (nrs) gloves as the water gets warmer still with pogies, and to just the gloves or just pogies with paddle wax. The texture on the mitts and gloves give good grip. I still like some cover to keep my hands/knuckles from getting skinned up while playing(flayling). Keep hitting the boat. Good for creeking too.

I boat all year round. If 32nd+ is solid ice I go to smelters if the ice bridges arnt too big. boat year round cause I love to boat and to practice strokes and blade dexterity. I don't want the unconscious desire to keep the hands warm to get me short arming while I paddle. I keep the thick neoprene gloves I tried in the 4wheeler for putting on chains.

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #12
Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I have small hands that get cold easily. After many years of kayaking with miserably cold fingers in Washington, I finally gave pogies a try. I was hesitant -- it felt almost claustrophobic at first, having my hands 'attached' to the paddle.

I got over that.

After the 2nd day trip I've never gone back to gloves. Pogies keep my thin hands toasty, even on New Years Day paddles with ice on the river banks. Yes, your hands get wet, but they still stay warm.

Rowing is a different story, though. There I use bicycle gloves with gel in the palms, but fingers on the oars. It's not as toasty as pogies, but then again, you're hands aren't getting as wet to begin with.

wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It is amazing how warm pogies are. Try them if you haven't yet. Just get the kind that are stiff, that you can easily get your hand into. I think hand fatigue and restriction of blood flow are why gloves aren't as warm.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #14
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Pogies all the way. Have used snapdragon hyper hands for years, they are warm and easy to get into and out of.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #15
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I agree with pogies all the way. I am the biggest woos when it comes to being cold and no gloves worked for me at all. I finally tried pogies and will never go back to gloves again. My hands stay warm in the iciest conditions. The only time they suck is if you swim.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #16
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
NRS Maverick gloves. Used them for a month on the grand in January and use them for early season on the Ark. Dry is always warmer so they have a serious upside to pogies. I have used them with an oar rig and kayaking and they perform well with both.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #18
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
I like your style caspermike!

Just curious, does anyone else feel like gloves are a safety issue? Gloves didn't work for me, they were to cumbersome and I found myself taking them on and off too much for doing rescues (rope work), climbing, packing a throw bag ect...

I remember my buddy telling me a story of the last time he wore gloves; He was getting stuffed into the undercut at the base of big kahuna on canyon creek and couldn't get traction on the rock to pull himself out until he took his gloves off.

P.S. for you rafters out there: I have put pogies on a raft paddle a few times and it worked great!
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #19
Golden, Colorado
What about the gloves with the fingers cut off? (such as NRS Men's Axiom Gloves at know that sounds kinda silly, but any warmth is welcomed to cold water, in my opinion. Seems like you will still get the same traction with your fingers.
BetterNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #20
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Kokatat fingerless gloves for me, i like being able to use my finger tips. The mavericks last only a few uses here in AZ before they get holes and they are bulky when using dry bags, carabiners, ropes... I've only used pogies once and will be buying some next time I paddle very cold water. Even with wet hands they were super warm after only a minute or so.

Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote