Old 03-11-2011   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I went to a great italian retaurant and all I could think about was the tent thread

Thanks All! I imagined the folks here have put some thought in to their river casas.

That Pine Island looks like the business. So... clips, mesh, good fly, little footprint, 4 man but go by actual dimensions. check.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #13
Jenks, Oklahoma
check out the alps mountaineering tents

you can sometimes find them at big discounts at overstock dot com or sierra trading post

I got one of the merimac series and am happy with the size and quality
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Beware....once you go cot, you won't go back.
If you are going to go with cots at some point, make sure you get a tent with decent sized doors, and enough length to handle the cots, with some walkway room in the middle. I use an REI Taj for me, cot, dog. My friends use a Kelty for mom, dad, cots, kid in the middle on a thermarest. Not sure of the model, but it's a four man with two doors.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #15
Boise, Idaho
Cots are nice but I have found they are hard on floors and are also more gear to pack/row. But if the ground is uneven, they are money.

Those Coleman tents are getting good reviews and are the best I can find for the price. Middle of the road quality but they are decent enough to last. Amazon has them cheaper than campmor and amazon has lifetime 2-day shipping(for free). Let me know if you don't know how to get the free shipping for life.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #16
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
we went to Grand Junction without the thought of buying a new tent but walked by Summit Canyon and found an Alpine Design last year tht is 90% mesh but does well on late October and early March trips. We got a 2009 model at 1/2 the price which is made for 4 people max but since we have 3 dogs it is great for the 2 of us. It woked great on those early and late trips and has wworked great on the summer runs in utah when it is so hot it'll melt you cojones off.
Shop around and look for the deals on last years tents it'll save you in the long run.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #17
Big Agnes Big House 4- not too big a package for a raft (ours fits in a Bills bag along with 2 sets of sleeping pads, bags, pillows, etc.- it would probably fit in a medium drybag by itself), 5+ feet of headroom, room for two cots plus a wide center aisle (you could probably get at least 3 cots in there if you wanted to be shoulder to shoulder), easy to set up and good ventilation. No vestibule is the only downside (unless you want to buy the huge add-on vestibule that basically doubles the size of the tent), but then again there's so much room inside that a vestibule isn't that critical. Plenty of room inside to hang out and be comfortable in an extended rain storm.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
[QUOTE=td;216455]Big Agnes Big House 4-

was just looking at this one on campmor- sick tent. I like that its tall and you can add the huge vestibule. I could sell the behemoth.

The colemans look like good deals- how do you get the free shipping?

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #19
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
We went with REI Half Dome 4 Tent at and are very happy with it.
Gave us just the increased room we needed over our earlier Taj3.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #20
Tent is one place I won't scrimp on. Seen way too many cheap ones shredded, flattened, poles snapped, plastic parts broken, etc. in high winds and snow that it's just not worth it. I think people think they are getting a huge tent for a deal but he materials are junk and don't have the design to hold up in a real wind. They just end up in a dumpster after the frustration. Buy something decent once and it will last for decades. I've also got a North Face backpacking tent that I've had with me since '94, it's been the only tent left standing on more than one occasion.

sierra trading post and rei-outlet are good places for deals but of course don't have everything. I've gotten great customer service from BA too, nice that it's a local company. Seems like they come out with more pretty neat tent designs every year. that half dome is kind of cool.

Don't know where you are in Denver but if near SE Aurora/Parker area no problem if you'd like to see the Pine. just shoot me an IM.

lots of choices out there, just gotta decide exactly what your requirements are.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote