Old 06-25-2011   #11
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up missing out on a great deal on a Remix fault.

I ended up buying an old Eskimo Salto w/nosecap for $50. The outfitting is likely to need replaced if it's a good fit for me. It's in Durango and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to Gunnison at the moment. Will pitch in gas money for someone heading my way.

Other boats I was/am still considering:

Dagger Mamba 7.5, Riot Big Gun Expedition, Embudo....

Wavesport EZG 50, Jackson Hero, 2Fun/Fun

I am going to order Whitewater Kayaking: The Ultimate Guide to read as I go along.

Anyone recommend anything else resource wise. I plan on hitting possibly a lake on Sunday and a pool hard on Tuesday. I might be able to demo some newer kayaks from Western State on the cheap.

I still need to get a knife, whistle and throwbag too.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh Be Joyful! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #12
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Salto might not be the best beginner boat, but it is a smooth, stable, an easy roller, and very comfortable. At $50, it sounds perfect. I am the same size and I paddle a Salto. It will take more work/paddling to control than the planning hull river runners, but it should be pretty easy to get the hang of quickly. My wife has a Mamba 7.5 that I used to steal all the time. It is a great beginner boat, but is capable of big IVs and easy Vs. I like the bigger boats as they helped me feel stable when I was just starting out.

Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #13
Durango, Colorado
Hey Joyful, if you decide not to go with the Mamba let me know. The wife is looking for one. Thanks and good luck on your shopping and new sport!
skylinekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #14
Gunnison, Colorado
Check your pms sk.

update: boat will be here the 2nd of July.

Bought and old whitewater kayak book and am practicing rolling.
Old 07-20-2011   #15
Gunnison, Colorado
Thread update!

Man that mental game is a tough one ;0)

So far I got my Salto ie banana boat and have been in the pool twice. I've purchased Whitewater kayaking: the ultimate guide and a swiftwater rescue book to have a foundation to build upon.

I am almost positive I will get my roll down next session! Thanks to everyone at the Western for helping at the roll sessions. Definately feeling more comfortable upside down in the h20 and in the boat in general although I haven't dialed the fit.

Feel confident enough to get into gentle whitewater with how stable the Salto feels. Think my next best bet is to practice at the whitewater park once get my roll down better.

One issue...having an outfitting problems. Seems my boat & or skirt combo has a small leak letting water in and I'm in btwn sizes w/the foot board. I think I have to add a 1/2" foam to the foot area and maybe some additional foam for the thigh braces.

Anyone in the Gunnison area wants to help me dial my boat in...I have a sixer with your name on it.

Michael 9zero1 7one7six local area code

Also thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and dropping into my thread!