Please HELP! dagger gt 8.1 replacment parts wanted or a DIY fix - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

manitowoc, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2008
Please HELP! dagger gt 8.1 replacment parts wanted or a DIY fix

I have a dagger gt 8.1 that is missing the foot rest how or where could I find a replacement or what else can I do to make a foot rest ?

oldworldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Might try contacting Dagger directyl or your local shop if there is one, otherwise could always just build a footrest out of foam.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

manitowoc, Wisconsin
where to begin on a foam foot rest ?

I called dagger and they said that there is nothing they can do about it that they don't have replacement parts for that boat anymore. I am not sure on how to go about a foam foot rest with the front vertical wall in the way? I have seen it done on play boats where your feet already touch the front end or tip of the nose/bow but this is more of a riverrunner/creeker type boat and it is for my wife she will need the foot braces to be about 8 to 16inches back from the tip of the nose.

Where can I buy xl pieces of foam ?

When she brought it she thought that her happy feet went up there she didn't even know that the boat came with foot rests and with the vertical wall in the bow the happy feet don't fit and will I also would not want to have a yard sale and have to replace the happy feet every time she swims .
Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
One source

Closed Cell Foam 12in. x 24in. x 4in. - austinkayak.com - Product Details
I would just make two blocks, one on each side of the wall. Glue them in with contact cement to minimize chasing.
It helps to cut them a little long and then cut them to comfortable.
FallingH20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Minicell Foam at nrs.com

Just make one piece for each side and then glue in once its right.

There are some videos online and a few threads on here I think.

I saw a cool tip of using aluminum foil stuffed up front to get the a shape and size mold.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Professional Transient, See above.
Buy a 8' x 4' sheet of foam (about 2" thick) at Home Depot (the rigid pink stuff to insulate building walls). Also pick up some rubber flooring- heavy, dense stuff. They sell the rubber in individual sheets for a buck or two a piece, something like 15" squares that are about " thick. Cut the foam to fit (typically 1 vertical piece and 2 horizontal pieces that are going along the bulkhead [for each side of the bulk head], and one piece [doubled up] oriented flat against your feet), then cover the last piece with the black flooring to give it some strength/distribute the pressure from your feet.

I've done this to a couple of boats. Makes the boat lighter, and also helps protect ankles when you smash the nose. I pull out the stock foot system and replace it with this instead.

If you're around Denver, I've got plenty of the foam left from the last time I did it you're welcome to use. PM me if you want some pictures as well.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

manitowoc, Wisconsin
Quote:
There are some videos online and a few threads on here I think.

I saw a cool tip of using aluminum foil stuffed up front to get the a shape and size mold.

I am having trouble finding these I am not sure if I am using the wrong key words for searches or what any links to threads or videos that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated .
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldworldlife View Post
I called dagger and they said that there is nothing they can do about it that they don't have replacement parts for that boat anymore. I am not sure on how to go about a foam foot rest with the front vertical wall in the way? I have seen it done on play boats where your feet already touch the front end or tip of the nose/bow but this is more of a riverrunner/creeker type boat and it is for my wife she will need the foot braces to be about 8 to 16inches back from the tip of the nose.

Where can I buy xl pieces of foam ?

When she brought it she thought that her happy feet went up there she didn't even know that the boat came with foot rests and with the vertical wall in the bow the happy feet don't fit and will I also would not want to have a yard sale and have to replace the happy feet every time she swims .
Often, those vertical walls can be taken out, to allow you to create a solid bulkhead, then placed back in.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote