Old 07-23-2008   #1
On the banks, of Rowlett Creek
Paddling Since: 2004
Playboats - Star vs. Agent, Ronin or other?

I have a Project 52, but I'm a little underweight for it. I can get in my sons Star (46 gallons) and really throw it around well, but I'm a little heavy for it, especially on rivers. I've tried the All-Star (54 gallons) and it's got more volume than I want. So I'm thinking a boat around 50 gallons might be just right.

Anyone paddled the agent 6.1 or Ronin 49 or anything else around that size, and if so, how does they compare with the Jacksons? I like that the Star is bit slicier and thus easier to cartwheel, bow stall and stern squirt than my Project.

bigdaddyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #2
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

I have a lightly used ZG48 that could be ideal for you. This is a great design as you may know. Mine is red and in excellent condition, having had little use. I was asking $575, but am negotiable. 719-221-1824 if you're interested. Thanks. -- Ken

Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #3
Salt Lake City/Steamboat Springs, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
my advice is that you should stay with your project. The project is a sweet boat that has great wave/hole capabilities. Being underweight for a kayak is not a bad thing. People think that it is an awful thing but it has more volume per pound of your weight which if you learn to toss around will give you bigger pop and retain its stable river running capabilities. If you go smaller then the edges of the boat are closer to or in the water and while running a river will make your life so much harder. Spend tons of time doing your best to throw around the project and I bet that you will like that boat just as much as any other boat on the market, once you get used to the volume. Remember volume is a good thing, and although it makes flat water cartwheeling harder the pros outweigh the cons by far.
claywhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote