Old 02-24-2013   #11
I am about your size and paddle a large Jed. The Jed and Project were designed by the same guy and are very similar.

The Jitsu looks interesting as well.

You need to adjust your roll slightly with these small stern boats.

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've settled on the Jackson Allstar for a playboat largely because it's way more comfortable than other playboats I've tried and the design is at least as good as anything else out there. It seems like the Rockstar is designed for polishing the elite level tricks, so I'd think it's overkill for starting to learn playboating skills. Allstar is fast end to end, plenty of pop, don't need the compromises of the Rockstar.

For what it's worth, I went from an EZG to an Allstar thinking that I'd still use the EZG for downriver play. I've found that I have a lot more fun doing downriver play in the Allstar, it's more comfortable, and not that much different as a river runner once you get a feel for it. For my purposes (just do the basic playboating tricks) I preferred the pre-2010 Allstar to the 2010-2012 Allstar. It felt more balanced to me - the 2010 Allstar seems to be light on stern volume and is a little predisposed to getting squirted downriver. Have never tried the 2013, but it looks more balanced. I've tried out the Project X, and it seems like a sweet design, but too uncomfortable for me. No experience with Pyranha playboats. No experience with the new Dagger boat, but did not like the Agent at all, so hope they improved on that. My 2 cents.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #13
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
lol the up an over stern squirt is the only trick i really got my superstar facilitates that to say the least.... fun if you mean to do 'em...
I had never tried an older star cause i was wasting time in the wrong boats....

I also went from an EZG60 (to a 2007 4fun) and then to the superstar, and the handling is just so much better all around, the geometry of how it reacts when you surf is really cool... you can really get after it and drop your bow without purling (unless you mean to...) and in my opinion an easy rolling boat that makes you more confident aint nothin but a good thing...

I almost wanted to keep my 4fun for down river stuff, like the LTB and the Ark, but i went all in and sold it for store credit to get my superstar, and I haven't regretted it at all...

All that being said i am pretty timid at highwater, and very much more comfortable playboating at med/low water levels. I dont think I will be taking my superstar down the Numbers if its any where over 700 for a while yet. Since i am already side tracked I should say I would love to try a Karma for downriver stuff cause my superhero is kind of a log. perfect for NM manky creeking,(at the levels I creek at) but maybe not ideal for bigger water runs. Not bad, but the remix/zen/karma designs are the ticket for downriver cranking... I am just not a high water playboater yet, but i am getting more comfortable in my star the longer i have it...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #14
Grand Junction, Colorado
Im 6 foot 215lbs and size 12 feet Ive tried the Rockstar L i found it alittle cramped so i bought a wavesport project x 64 fits like a glove and its really progressed my front/side surf, cart wheels, flat water moves, and all together playboating/riverrunning the best part is the 2013 models of most the playboats have the awesome quick adjusting outfitting good luck with your search!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #15
Boise, Idaho
I had a 2010 Superstar, felt like I hit a plateau, so I sold it and went looking for my new playboat. I'm 6', 200lbs, and I tried a L Rockstar, M and L Project X, and M and L Jedi.

I liked everything about the Rockstar except running rivers and rolling. Micah's advice about the seat height is right on.

I found that the L Project X was too big for me, and the M was a strain too tight. I think between the Jackson and Wavesport series, in terms of sizing, it goes more like Allstar/M Rockstar -> Project X 56 -> Superstar/L Rockstar -> Project X 64. In other words, they aren't sized directly to each other.

With the Jedi, I never liked how my feet sat in them, so I just couldn't get comfortable at all.

I ended up buying another Superstar, and love it.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #16
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I agree with the Star series in the Jackson boats. They make amazing playboats. I also did not like the Rock Star series much, but love my 2010 star. I put the 220 seat in it because I am small and love it.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #17
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
For the most bang for your buck I would say that the original hull Star series or the hull after that (2007?) is the way to go. I had the first generation SuperStar and loved it, super well balanced, allowed me to learn to initiate ends and then link them. Get in a boat, try and throw an end or a loop, fall on your head and repeat.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #18
Dang, thanks for all the great responses! I wasn't expecting to get so much. I'm not sure I'm any closer to making a decision - if anything I'm further off because now I have another boat to consider.

Guess it's time to do some shopping and see what's available used.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #19

Just wanted to throw my $.02 in there, I paddled my new jitsu 5.9 for the first time on shoshone yesterday. I am 5'6 155 and have owned a 2007 allstar, paddled the jed, and most recently have been borrowing a Bliss Stick Super Rad. Hard to get too much of an impression as far as playing, but I really liked the way this boat paddled down river. I felt super stable and I am pretty sure one of my boofs knocked an avalanche loose in the canyon (can anyone verify this?) Coming primarily from the poudre, my playboating consists of turning class 3 runs into creek runs in little boats, but I think this is a good down-river, catch waves on the on the fly boat. Like a kingpin but a little faster. Didn't surf too much, but I am sure I could window-shade in this boat just as well as I could any other playboat.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #20
Pollock pines, California
Paddling Since: 1999
I hate to thread jack, but I am also in the market for a new playboat, but I have a major issue. I'm 6'2" but weigh 155lbs and have size 11.5 feet. I'm a beanpole... I am currently trying to get rid of my medium molan and am currently looking at Jeds, Project X's and Jitsus, but I don't know what to really do. I'm an average playboater who is definitely looking to progress this season. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Buzz.

Ian Janoska is offline   Reply With Quote