Old 10-19-2012   #11
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Any mentioned boat will do what you descibe. Pick the one you like the best. All the boats are within 500 bucks when its all said and done. Don't let price dectate your choice. You can't go wrong with maravia, aire, or sotar. It has been my experience that the more you like your equipment, the more fun you'll have on the water. So, be confident that you are on the right track, all the boats you mentioned are awesome, and all will out live thier warrenty. So, just go buy the one you like for your own reasons. I have boated with way too many ppl who save $400 bucks and float the river wishing they were in the boat thier hart wanted. just a thought. Happy floating.

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #12
Louisville, Colorado
I miss my old Aire Wildcat. It was a one woman machine, I bought it so I could carry it out of the north platte without help. That little cat took me on more than ten years of adventure without a single repair.

Hubby has the previously mentioned NRS river cow - it has taken us down some great IV+ multiday runs and has a great warranty. It would be much less cowish without the NRS frame that so easily holds lots and lots of boxes. We tend to over load it and every overloaded cat is a cow. I personally think the frame/configuration is more important than any of the tubes you might choose. Keep it smaller and lighter and make your fella carry the weight - his boat is better suited. Keep in mind that the lower you sit, the more stable you are - if you are in front of anything you might be carrying, seeing where you go will not be an issue. I always went floorless in my wildcat, which allowed me to "Fred Flintstone", parking on small rocks with my feet, or unparking myself when I had landed there accidentally. This was particularly nice because I did not have anyone onboard to help with getting on and off shore. Once or twice I was in danger of falling through the middle.

I am jealous of your upcoming purchase, I NEVER should have sold my cat. Stupid! Bangs head on desk.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Sotar ST? Seems you don't need the Legend design for what you're intending- and the high ends will catch more wind. I have a 13' Sotar for sale if you want to shoot me a PM. It's in CO and the price is right-
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012   #14
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Osseous
Sotar ST? Seems you don't need the Legend design for what you're intending- and the high ends will catch more wind. I have a 13' Sotar for sale if you want to shoot me a PM. It's in CO and the price is right-
Really? Don't want to be slowed down at all by that wind resistance!!! Deflate your tubes it will help even more

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote