Old 02-26-2005   #1
Graduate Student
PFD help ... and please help!

Recently I have been searching for a good PFD and I was wondering if anyone could provide any suggestions.

I have a chest size of roughly 33 inches, really skinny at 5'11" and weight of 150 lbs. Ride a big EZ by wavesport ... didn't know if this could help out.

I've been pointed in the direction of a Lotus sherman ... but I was curious as to what other people had to say.

yuengling_ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #2
I personally think the astral bouyancy is the most comfortable and has some nice features like how the back padding covers the spine but is not combersome. It is also the most expensive by a quite a bit because it is made all in the US and is all recyclable but ou can get some nice vests for less, the NRS Groove looks interesting.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'd say go try a bunch on at your nearest kayak shop. Also depends on what you are doing. Playboaters like stuff a little lower profile, if you are a creek boater and/or have swiftwater rescue training, you might want a rescue vest, etc. Find something that won't ride up, and that offers you free range of motion for paddling is what I think! Most of them have aboutt the same buoyancy, so look for comfort and fit!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
my 2$

I'm at the other end of the problem 230# with a 50'' chest and it has taken me months of trying on all the vests out there and sittin in a boat like the one I paddle with a spray skirt in the shops till I figured out the Astral is the one for me.
It doesnt hit me in the chin when I lean forward like all the other vests I was looking at. I wanted a rescue vest as I will be taking the training this summer and didnt want to buy 2 vests yet but down the road I'll be droppin the $$$ for a lower profile "PLAY" vest I'm sure.

Hope this helps.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote