Old 07-10-2005   #1
pfd flotation

will any kayak pfd keep your head above water when unconscious or do you just drown. they all seem alike to me but do the smaller more compact ones keep your head above water just as well as larger ones. i would like a small pfd with lots of mobility instead of a big bulky one. but will a small one save my life any better than a big one. it doesn't deeply concern me just curious.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #2
Most kayak pfd's will not keep your breathing tubes out of the water if your are unconscious. These pfd's are not intended for you to be in the ocean for 30 hours, but several minutes in water with shore nearby.

To keep your breathing tubes out of water, you need the special pfd's that most commerical outfitters are now using. They have floatation behind your neck. They are not comfortable. I think they are called America's Cup pfd's or something like that. They also have 20 lbs of floatation, I think, not the 15-17 of most life vests, for what it's worth.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #3
Stork is right with out a neck float a pfd will generaly make you float how ever the river puts you unless you are able to swim.
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Christof (CStork) is talking about a Type V PFD that the outfitters use for their commercial rafting clients. The Type V PFDs have the pillow behind the head that keeps your head above water when unconscious and when new, can provide up to 25 lbs floatation and don't porovide very good upper body mobility. America's Cup is just one of many makers - Extrasport and Stearns, among others, also make Type V PFDs.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote