Old 07-29-2005   #1
perception kayaks; sit-on-top

hello. i'm obviously new to kayaking and just had a few questions. first off, i know that perception used to make pretty decent whitewater boats yet i hardly see anyone list them as their current boats. do they no longer make quality whitewater boats?
secondly, i was looking for a good boat to run class III or lower. i do not yet know how to roll and was thinking of purchasing a sit on top kayak with thigh straps, etc. i was wondering how these boats typically handled in this kind of water. i would prefer not to fall out every 1/4 mile or so. the model that seemed most suitable was the perception koho 11.5. has anyone had any experience with this boat or any similar. if anyone is willing to throw a little knowledge this way, i would much appreciate it. thank you.

jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
perception did make good boats. DAgger bought them out and stopped making them after a few years. Not familiar with that sit on top, but its probably fine for a sit on top.

You will outgrow a sit on top in a few days if you really want to paddle class 3 stuff. The benefits are stability and less likely to flip/easier to deal with if you do flip. If you don't plan to laern a roll and progress into kayaking, you might consider an inflatable instead.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #3
thanks for your reply. it just seemed that a sit on top may ease things up a bit. i guess i don't plan on kayaking enough that i woud learn to roll. i say that but might end up loving it. a sit on top just seemed like it could be more fun, at least for a beginner in that its easy to get both on and off. i just wondered if class 3 rapids would have you swimming more often than actually being in the kayak. i was also curious what and how thigh straps do exactly to enhance your ride. thank you.

p.s my brother goes to uc in boulder.
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #4
Boulder, Colorado
I had a Perception Torrent for a while, for kids and friends on desert river trips like Deso and San Juan. It was ok for that. Stable as all get out; you could paddle with a kid on the bow, etc.

But it was really a pig. Heavy to get on the roof. Very wide (ie, stable) and sort of awkward to paddle due to the width. Plus your butt is in the water.

The thigh straps lock you to the boat more and keep you from getting bounced out and let you lean and get it up on edge, turn faster, brace, etc.

I would agree with other posters, on inflatible can be more versatile, easier to pack, carries gear, and is just as easy to get back in if you flip.

Have fun!
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote