Old 07-06-2004   #1
Marine Biologist
Patching an AIRE floor

My Ik floor has a leak. I pulled out the yellow urethane/vinyl floor to inflate it and see where the leak is. To my surprise, the valve was not sealed to the inside of the bladder. Is it supposed to be, or does it seal when the valve is screwed down? I tried to screw the valve down to seal it, and it leaked from there nevertheless. Hopefully someone can give me some beta, as I don't want to seal the valve to the inside of the bladder unless I am supposed to. Cheers and Beers,

|^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
| BEER ................. | ||'""|""\__,_
| _____________ l ||__|__|___|)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004   #2
A little late, but the valve is supposed to be "free". It seals when hand tightened.

tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #3
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I have a nice tear (2in) in the pvc shell of my super puma about 1in from the bottom seam. Been trying to get info on how to repair. I also went to and printed out an owners handbook. requires adobe to download, and prints out all wierd. pg 13-17 has all kinds of hints on valve repair and replacement.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #4
Aire tips

Here's some tips I've found work well. When you are moving the zippers, keep them lubed. Some 303 or even Armor All on the zipper will keep it moving well. If your zipper breaks even a single tooth you risk blowing out the entire tube. Be gentle, and take it slow.
I also reccomend patching both the inside and outside of the tube.
Be sure to use PVC material, (not rubber) For about $50 you can get a patch kit from AIRE. It comes with plenty of material, both shell and inner tube, as well as floor material (if you have an air floor) and glue plus some extras. The folks at AIRE are super cool, give them a call. Hope this helps.
tdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote