Old 12-15-2011   #11
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
Yes all their folding stoves are available in a break apart option, I recommend that so you can use larger pans and pots on your burners. So that leaves you with either a four burner or two burner stove, the four burner can also be used with Partner's breakdown stove stand freeing up table space. The 2 burner is very compact when folded and if you get the break apart option works with large pots, pans and works great for other non rafting trips like car camping with one pound bombs. I use the small 2 burner with a Woodland stove giving me 3 burners, I haven't been on a trip yet that needed more then 3 burners going at the same time.

Bottom line buy a Partner stove and it will probably be the last stove you buy.
I'm with Wavester. Yes it is worth it. I have the folding 2 burner break apart.

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #12
Groveland, California

I wish I would have bought a partner last go around. After being left in the cold with my Brunton last trip, I am scrapping that POS and buying a Partner.

Do Partner stoves need a windscreen? I know the advertising says not, but then they sell some with screens. Trying to decide between the two burner breakdown, and the 12 x 22 two burner with windscreen.

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #13
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Yes they are worth it !!!!!!!
I was in Pokie when I bought mine, so I got a personal tour of the factory. I met the guy that was making them, and got a first hand look at how they go together. Can't get more "Made in the USA" than that.
Between my rafting partner and I we have most of the models they sell. 2,4, and 6 burner. That 6 burner is sure sweet with a bigger group. Most of the time you won't need wind screens, but they are nice to have if it's windy. Might as well get all the accessories when you get the stove......stove stand, windscreens, bags.
Those stoves might just out live most of us.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #14
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have the partner steel standard 4 burner and the standard 2 burner. If I had it to do over I would have got the 2 burner with the wind screen.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #15
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
i guess i'm just a dirt bag because i don't have one.

They seem like they're worth the money and all, but they're to friggin heavy and large (imho) and then you add the rocket box and the stand to the mix omg.... it's not like rafters go light anyway so for real big groups they're great, 4 big burners lots of food, yadadayada, but for smaller groups say 6-8 i hardly ever use more than 2 burners anyway. the cheepo propane coleman knockoffs last long enough, are light and if you don't need a month's worth of fuel in the bomb you can use the little green disposable ones and refill them from your bbq.

like most gear i'm sure it has it's place like for long trips with lots of hungry buzzards, but don't get one just to keep up with the joneses. fwiw my cheepo has been going strong for 10+ years on all kinds of trips. looking fwd to another 10+

merry chaos
more snow = more water
oarframe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #16
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
It's one of those things that you rarely need until you do. Some of their 2 and 3 burner stoves come with screens. When I was passing through the Sotar store last Summer I saw a folding metal windscreen that fits in the stove bag, it works great sheilding 3 sides of the stove. The price was around $20 and looks like it was made by Partner, heavy duty.

Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
I wish I would have bought a partner last go around. After being left in the cold with my Brunton last trip, I am scrapping that POS and buying a Partner.

Do Partner stoves need a windscreen? I know the advertising says not, but then they sell some with screens. Trying to decide between the two burner breakdown, and the 12 x 22 two burner with windscreen.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #17
Creede, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Partner Stoves Rule. I have tried to rule them out of my camp kitchen and just can't. They have always been reliable, and I can't get them wet enough to fail so far. I have an extensive kitchen when I take a trip, and the Partner 4- burner is an integrable part. PS. get the grill cover, a dutch oven, and a fire pan and you can cook anything your heart desires. Sometimes the dough is worth it. Buy something nice and buy it for a lifetime.
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #18
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
You can pass these stoves on to your grand kids and them to theirs. It's s sturdy, elegeant design, with no frills they just work.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #19
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
I liked partner so much, I became a dealer. I have or have had everything that partner makes. The 4 burner is terrific! I use a 6 burner with hinge on end design, basically it unfolds from the small side, leaving all the controls in front of you. To my knowledge, they don't make a stand for the six burner, but fits perfectly on the backboard table.

Worse thing about having this set up, is that the food better be good. Cause there's no excuse.

The griddle's they build are great too!
Go for it, you'll be glad you did!
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #20
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Absolutely worth it. I have a 16" fold up 4 burner (fits in a rocket box if needed), a standard flat 2 burner and a 3 burner. The 4 gets used the most and the only thing I've ever had to do is replace the O-rings on the hose fittings. After 12 years, the burners are starting to show some burn out and may eventually have to be replaced and may be rusted on to where I'd have to send the grill to partner to do that (you get new burners in the repair kit, but if you don't unscrew them from time to time or put anti-lock compound on, they will rust tight), but it has never failed on a river trip. Get the stove stand too. Good equipment is good investment. Partners put out more heat than Colemans and cook better than anything I have ever used.

In my repair kit I carry some old Primus needle-prick tools (eBay) to poke out the orifices if they get clogged. Hasn't happened more than maybe 2x that I can remember (grease usually the culprit). I also carry a miniture can of WD-40 and hit the brass threads once in awhile. I've even blown mine clean at the car wash and it still functions after that. You can also get spare O-rings from Partner. The O-rings need to be made POL fittings (propane and gas). Cheap O-rings are made from lesser quality rubber that freezes and cracks. POL O-rings last much longer. Easy to replace in the field. Just carry some spares. I think there are some in the repair kit too.

Regarding the overheating issue, I've heard this before, about elevating griddles so not too much heat gets trapped in the box and can melt an o-ring, but Partner has told me that you don't need to do this with any of the griddles they sell, and the 16" Partner griddle covers most of the box with just about an inch on either side. Frankly, I think it's overkill and I've never done it. Just make sure there is air space around whatever you load on top of the stove so that heat can escape, i.e., don't fully cover both grates and trap all the heat so it can only come out past the valves. Also, there is usually no need to run the thingon full blast anyway. I have not personally seen or experienced an O-ring burn.

A key to making a Partner last - - don't overtighten the burner valves. They just need to be finger tight, not torqued down. The needle valve is very small, brass, with fine threads. Very high quality but can be stripped if Big Bear Hands or pliers are used to shut off a burner. Finger tight is enough. There is not pressure. If worried about leaks, turn the gas off at the tank every night.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote