Old 03-24-2011   #21
Jenks, Oklahoma
Well, there is a bit more to the Coleman story.

Ture is correct according to my information on Coleman stove current outsourcing. But there is a bit more to the story.

My understanding is the stoves were outsourced to China, but for some reason maybe transport cost increases or bad quality, some at least were brought back to manufacture in the States.

Coleman like most USA manufacturing is run by accounting types, who will almost always go for the lowest cost they can get by with no matter what. Harvey Partner is a craftsman with a history of doing things right and it shows in the quality of any thing coming out of their shop. Coleman Items built at the lowest cost or Partner Steel items built with pride, quality and the best the craftsman can do. Back in the old days Coleman was local and had pride of construction in their gear, you can see it in the stoves and lanterns they have on display in the company store in Wichita. Worth a visit just to look.

I own a couple of the very old Coleman green stoves, so old my bet is they were made in the USA. One is propane only has the sear's roebuck logo on it and the other is a classic Coleman square green one that burns white gas. Cooked a few meals on the propane and a lot on the white gas. Other than having to jack around with the white gas, and the smell of same, the white gas has been good to go on car trips but I never took it on actual get wet river trips.

Coleman stuff according to the Eagle has a lot of it's manufacture off shore and it shows. If you go to Wichita to their little Coleman Store you can also see a line of close too expedition quality stoves, tents and sleeping bags. I have a good paddle bud that uses Coleman tents all the time and he sez they work.

Any thing mechanical can be destroyed by poor maintenance or kept longer than normal by good maintenance.

Bottom line for me is yup they are expensive but the Partner Steel stoves are the ones I see most often in long time use by major river outfitters who understand the need for good gear in the long run.

Again, you can pay less for a Coleman or some other general use stove and maybe use it for a long time. Or, if you want a very good chance for long term durability and something that works well under bad conditions - go with the Partner. Your money your choice.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #22
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yah, not dissing Coleman - - lots of good products. But as for stoves, the Partner put out more heat and are tougher, but you have to pay to play. I had an old USA made Coleman 3 burner with a propane adapter that we used for years and years. Held up fine. But just not the same thing.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #23
Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
pay to play, ya just go out an kick the money tree see what drops...
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #24
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
We use a 4 burner Partner for the main cooking station. A 2 burner colman is used for the coffee & hot bevarage bar. The king cooker heats the dish water. It's a great system for large groups
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #25
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Partners are top notch. Buy the 18" break apart is my recommendation based only on seeing the practical benefits that model offers.

I have a Camp Chef River Runner aluminum stove that puts out 25k btu and feathers down to simmer better than any other stove I've had/used. Used it for 12+ years now and it still works like new. The oversized burners and cooking space also make it very user friendly.

If/when it wears out, I will purchase a Partner as my stove has been discontinued.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote