Old 03-24-2011   #11
Jenks, Oklahoma
Seems like Partner used to offer a break down kit as a retro. You might email them and ask.

I was lucky and got my 4 burner and 2 burner Partners a long time ago. One of the few good things I have purchased where the value has increased over time!

By the way, I purchased one of the Camp Chef all terrain stoves and took it on a trip last fall. I liked the idea of an extra two big burners to replace my woodland stove and extra space when using the oversized outfitter fry pan for big groups. Good thing I took my Partner 4 burner along as well. Could not get the Camp Chef to burn at full power. Back home I wrote Camp Chef and the reply was to use a wrench to tighten the hose to the stove. Seemed to work in the back yard, would not take just the Camp Chef on a river trip.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #12
Louisville, Colorado
Our camp chef has been great, but it doesn't have hinges so it is likely a different model. We do work hard to keep the dirt out of the hose connections. Last long trip, one couple had the 16 " 4 burner partner and we had the camp chef with two honking' burners. The combo was great. I thought the 16 was a bit small for large group cooking, I'd get the 18. Plus, it is always good to have two stoves on two different boats in case something happens to one.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #13
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I recently sold my 3 burner and replaced it with the 18" 4 burner just to get more space between burners to allow for the use of larger pots/skillets.
Bill @ Partner is great to work with.
Also, if you have one of their griddles, you don't need to elevate it on the 18" as there is enough venting around the edge. As recommended by Partner, if you use the griddle on the 16", you should raise it up a bit to keep the inner workings of the valves from getting too hot. In the past, I used 1" aluminum tubing on the grates.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #14
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I love the breakaway option on the 4-burner. In fact, I'm taking half of my stove this weekend for it's first use. Partner is the best. I do have an OLD OLD coleman that still works and has been through hell. It belonged to my grandfather and I don't know exactly how old it is. About 15 years ago - when my Dad owned the stove - he called coleman to see if he could get a replacement part. They had no record of making that stove and apparently, it used to be a Canadian company when it started. So, coleman at least used to make a long-lasting product, but I've never seen one of their stoves perform like a partner can. Buy a partner once and you shouldn't ever have to buy a stove again.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #15
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
One thing to consider with the 4-burner option is the spacing of the burners. I haven't been able to cook more than 3 things at once because the pans just don't fit. Other than that niggle, I agree that the stoves are bomber.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #16
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
the break-apart hinge option addresses that issue.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #17
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
I'm not thinking I will put it in an ammo can (I believe this is the reason for the 16"). Should I? (I plan on keeping the hoses in a drybox or drybag.) My understanding is that the stoves are bomber and that is not necessary.
The reason you'd want to consider storing the stove in a rocket box is that when the burners are wet they won't light. Even a heavy dew fall can fill the tiny gas holes in the burners and make it hard to light. Since these stoves operate at low pressure, the gas alone won't blow the water out. You'll have to use your raft pump or a flame to dry the burners before you can light the stove.

I used Partner stoves for commercial raft trips and found them to be extremely durable and reliable. I used to be able to baby the consumer-grade stoves through one season, but at the end they were scrap metal. The Partner stoves are good for ten years or more.

Here's how I had my Partner stove built for my private rafting:
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #18
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
2 words: Buy American

2 more: Nuff Said
Coleman, right?

I know someone who retired from the Coleman factory in Wichita. My Coleman stove and lantern were made by Americans (well, they could have been on a green card) in the city of Wichita, Kansas. You can't get any more American than Wichita, Kansas. I'd commit suicide before I lived there, but it sure is American.

They do outsource 2/3 of their manufacturing to China these days but it is an American company and they still manufacture a significant amount of product here, including stoves and lanterns. They employ several hundred people in Kansas. I always knew that, I went to the factory to buy my stuff with my friend's employee discount.

This article in the Wichita Eagle backs all of that up: Coleman is in the business of nature | Wichita Eagle

I'm comfortable buying Coleman. That said, I am going to buy a Partner Steel stove for my surf shack but probably the biggest factor is that I think they look cool. A Coleman would be a lot cheaper and would be made in the USA too.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #19
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Anyone tried one of these?

Diamond Plate 4 Burner "Tuff" Stove Product Details - StanSport
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #20
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I have an old 16" 4 burner and it works great. Sometimes wish I had 2 more inches for larger pots but we make it work and it does pack away with a smaller footprint. I recommend the 4 burner for the go-to "all around" stove for any trip, big or small. I also have the Partner stand but had a friend build an identical stand out of aluminum and use it instead because it's lighter. Since I also do some very small (2-3 person) trips from time to time, I also have a suitcase-size 2 burner for those trips, in which case I don't bring the stand and set the on the table. But the stand is great for everything else and keeps your table-space available. Finally, I have a 3 burner (picked up here on the Buzz) that I haven't used yet. I've had no problems whatsoever with any of these stoves. The Partners put out more heat than Coleman by far and they are just flat-out durable. Have occassionally had to spray-clean the brass threadings (dust, windblown sand/grit, can't be helped) but have always been reliable on the river. I carry a small-pocket-size can of WD-40 in the repair kit for that. Does not happen often. I too have a repair kit from Partner and in 10 years haven't used anything in it except for the O-rings and I do carry spares of those. BTW, when you get O-rings for spares get the POL grade ones, because the rubber is tougher and made for propane, which is cold. Partner will sell you a whole bag for a few bucks. If you use drug-store or hardware-store grade o-rings they will crack. The propane freezes them. Also, find an MSR or similar "pinprick" jet cleaner. Occassionally the tiny orifice (brass jet) will clog with grease or something, but a quick-prick and its good to go. I can't say enough about the Partners. Have been using mine 15+ years and never looked back. Everyone wants to borrow it. Have sent it on Grand trips and everyplace in between. No wonder you never see a used one for sale - - once you have it, you won't want to part with it, ever. Final hint, the valves are brass with delicate threading and small pointed needle. No need to "crank down hard" on these. Just finger tight and they are closed. Then turn your tank off at night. Keep those burly man-hands under control. The valves are THE most delicate part of the whole unit and the only thing likely to break or strip if someone overdoes it. Buena suerte. (PS About 5 years ago I was fortunate to meet Harvey Partner, former owner of Partner Steel. Was surprised to hear that is his real last name - - Partner - - and it was not a gimmick name. Whooda Thunkit? Was meant to be I guess.)

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote