Old 06-09-2014   #1
San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Partner Steel 2 burner vs 4 burner (hinged)

Quick question.. trying to decide between the 2 burner break apart and 4 burner break apart. We typically camp as a family of 4 but do about half a dozen trips as a party of 8.
We have "survived" up until now on crappy Coleman 2 burner stoves. This got me thinking I only need the Partner Steel 2 burner (hinged) model but will I regret not bumping up to the 4 burner?

elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #2
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Get the 4 burner. As soon as I can afford it, that's what I am getting. More flexible for cooking, and probably don't need the blaster as often that way. I am getting the smaller one that fits into an ammo can so it's one unit and doesn't need to go into my kitchen box.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
We have the 2 burner and it can easily support 8. more if someone adds a woodland power stove to the mix.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
Definately go with the two burner break apart. The burners on the 4 burner one are too close together to get anything but small cookwear on. If your cooking for a big group, the four burner turns into a two burner anyways as the big pans won't fit side by side.

What I did was buy their new extra wide two burner stove (22") with built in wind screen. Partner Steel Camping Equipment

I then I bought the two burner break apart to boot along with a single hose and regulator so I can run just one burner if I want. I join the two at the bottle with a Y if I run them both at once. This gives me the option of setting up the kitchen for 1 to 4 burners. It's a great system for a big group or small, and I'll never have to buy another stove again.

A friend on the last Deso trip was so impressed with the two burner break apart, that he is going to sell his 4 burner and get two of the break aparts for the very reason that you can put four big pots and pans on them for big groups.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #5
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Partner Steel 2 burner vs 4 burner (hinged)

I don't own either one, but I have done my share of cooking on both. I would get the 2 burner break apart for reasons stated above and because of your typical group size.

I bought an all aluminum 2 burner camp chef 15 years ago and it's been bomber for me, too bad they quit making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I just got the 4-burner as an upgrade from my 2 burner Coleman and a Woodland Powerstove and it has been out twice this year. I'm definitely using the Woodland stove much less and have had more than two burners of the Partner going at a time. I have the stand so I'm not interested about breaking it apart. I like to cook for 12 to 16 people and it seems like it will work well.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #7
Jenks, Oklahoma
I got the 4 burner many years ago and it gets the job done no matter what the group size. I got a 2 burner as well, mostly to get the coffee service out of the way and to heat dish washing water while cooking the main meal. I am going to take a different line from the others. Take the 4 burner, maybe with break apart, and don't look back. I have both stoves and the 4 burner goes on every trip. 2 burner rarely, mainly if it is just me on solo trips.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #8
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have the 2 burner break apart. I had the 2 burner with the windscreen and didn't like it. There wasn't enough room for larger pots or griddles with the windscreen in the way. I like the 2 burner break apart for small groups. My rafting buddy has a 4 burner and a 6 burner with stands that are used a lot on trips. The 4 burner is more than adequate for a medium sized group. I wanted something smaller that I could pack easily,but that had room for larger pots. They're all great stoves. It just depends on what your overall size needs are. Beware.....Partner stoves can be a slippery slope. Before you know what happened, you've got three stoves, stands, wind screens, griddles, etc. My buddy lives in Pokie and he's not allowed to go in their shop anymore.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #9
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I would suggest their break apart that has 2 two burner stoves vs the non break apart that has 4 burners. On the plus side the non break apart 4 burner drops very nicely into a rocket box.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #10
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I love my 4 burner break apart. That said I hardly ever break it apart. I do agree that the burners are a little close together for larger pots and I love that is fits perfectly in a rocket box.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote