Old 10-16-2015   #21
aurora, Colorado
I think the is question is what are you trying to accomplish? Is paint an aesthetic? Want the frame to look pretty? My frame has lots of welding. Rowframe Gary knows his shit when it comes to to metallurgy, coatings, and welding. I've met him, I work in industry. My company has the largest aluminum heat treat furnace in the state; we cast and machine 3 million dollars worth of aluminum a year.

Has anybody in the community had a frame break (in a nasty rapid, hole, etc) that can be attributed to the coating or welding process? All my youtube vids show frames blowing off rafts seem to be straps or d-ring failure. Arguing about 12kpsi to a t5 vs/ a t6/t651 temper is ludicrous if the frame is not going to break during even extra-ordinary circumstance. part of engineering is understanding the use and abuse of a part, not just "make it as strong as we can".

As far as mil-spec anodize/coating. We do this. For General dynamics. Lockheed, Raytheon, and many others. The mil-spec matches the conditions. Mil-spec is NOT better, it is just very specific to the 'mission requirements.' If somebody can show me a mil-spec for a whitewater raft frame, then I will take stock in their decisions. Otherwise.. it's apples to oranges. Anodize is very susceptible to scratches. Repair on anodize means stripping and starting over. Paint..... spray spray. Application people.

My frame is uncoated. My raft is grey. My calves are grey after a river trip 'cause they rub the frame rail behind them. I'm on the river. 'nuff said.

sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015   #22
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Echoing what Sea Hag says above, I wonder why we don't hear about all those welded frames PRO builds and rents, or OARS runs, or many of the GC outfitters run breaking all the time. I actually had a popular local frame builder tell me he would weld me a frame, rather than use the fittings that they typically use, but that it would bent at all the welds. Needless to say, his confidence did not inspire me to buy a frame from him.

I've seen more welded steel frames bent and broken than Al frames. For that matter, I've seen more steel frames broken than cheap 2x4 frames broken, and if you decide the trip is just too much fun, and you're not going home, you can always burn the 2x4 frame in the firepan!

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #23
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Krylon clear gloss if you dont have a spray gun. Catalized gloss Western if you have a gun.

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote