Old 12-02-2013   #11
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
re gloves

Thanks for all your opinons guys. I also liked the Reactor [original] gloves a lot and am disappointed they are no longer available. The Rescue version if they have a leather palm surface would surely be slippy on a cold, icy paddle, yes?? So any opinions on the Glacier gloves? I bought the Kenai model accidentally last year, they are actually for fishing, but they do well if its in the high 30s,not so good if under 35 or so. Thats why I am considering their Perfect Curve model which is for boating.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #12
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I like my Glacier Gloves. Glacier Gloves are super grippy and have a Velcro closure at the wrist. I have several pair of different NRS gloves and they are all shit. They use the cheapest ass thread known to man and almost all come unstitched at some point.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #13
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Well, the only positive about that, for those of us who already have them, is that the maverick gloves are glued seams not stitched ... Which could fail colossally too i suppose.

The good thing about these threads is learning all the options. I would def try the glacier gloves next time. ( honestly i have gotten proform for river guides on nrs for 15 years, thats why i have so much of their stuff) some of their stuff is awesome, some much. But they are generous to river professionals (if you want to call rubberpushers that) and i appreciate that a lot actually... so i have some loyalty. If a product is no good tho... I wouldnt spend anytime talking about it. I will not buy another nrs drytop for instance... Too many years with the gasket abrading the shit out of my neck... Kokatat ftw... (Ironically still available through Nrs tho...;] )
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Reactor Rescues

Hey fellas -
I am on my second pair of the new yellow Reactor Rescue gloves. I wear them a ton. I don't see them as being substantially different than the old Reactors. I don't notice anything different in the grip. I DO use paddlewax, and have no grip issues.
They are warm and functional like the old Reactors. Unfortunately like the old Reactors (and anything NRS I have ever owned), they don't last long. I wore out a hole in the finger tip of my first Rescues after about 40 river days.
They're also ugly as sin and I wish there was a different color choice...
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #15
McCarthy, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2002
My Wife loves the Mavericks, we paddle in McCarthy, Alaska, water temp 34 degrees, her direct quote was "they are amazing" And Abron is right, NRS does have an awesome return/exchange policy.
RaftTheWrangells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #16
Gayfield, ColoRADo
Paddling Since: 2007
I have NRS gloves and they do a great job keeping my hands warm and gripping my paddle once I get them warm. I choose not to wear them that often because when I tried to do my roll I couldn't feel the air and ended up swimming. They are still nice to have in cold weather though.
mludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #17
Meridian, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
I bought the Mavericks about a month ago, and have tried them out several times. They are nice and grippy, but my fingers get cold. I'm not ready to give up on them yet, but I didn't get cold fingers with lightweight gloves plus pogies last year.
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #18
Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I don't have any experience with the maverick gloves, but I've been happy with my glacier gloves the folks at Andy & Bax (local Portland whitewater shop) recommended for me.

I use them paddle rafting and IKing and my have had no issues with cold hands, but to be fair I've only done a few day trips with temps in the 30s. I haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity.
mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #19
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
No matter what glove I have ever used my hands always get colder than they do with pogies. Even in mid winter I find that just the Bombergear Creek Mitts work best for me while on the water.
I also have XXL palms with short sausage fingers so no gloves ever really fit.
I keep gloves handy in cold conditions but I usually only put them on when I am not paddling.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #20
craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I used Mavericks last spring thaw. water was 36 degrees. Grip is amazing. Bought my wife a pair for Christmas.

nwcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote