Old 10-08-2008   #1
paddle upgrade

I currently own a seven2 paddle with a 0 degree offset. Through some sort of grace by the kayaking gods this paddle has not broken or sunk on me, but there are signs that it may do so in the near future. I am in the market and am curious about feedback for different paddles out there. I am a solid IV+ paddler with a little V experience and would like to step up my game a bit. I prefer creeking but also need a paddle that is good for playboating as this is where I spend the majority of my time. Also curious if it would be beneficial to change to a 15 or 30 degree offset.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Which Model of the Seven 2 do you own?

When I saw the title of your post I was going to recommend a seven2 Helio, the new design looks killer....even despite the fact that I will get flamed for even mentioning a Seven 2 as an upgrade. After paddling for 17 years it is the most natural feeling paddle I have had. A few years ago they had some problems with durability.

One thing that I did which I recommend for any paddle is to put auto door trim on the rim of the blade. Especially if you are paddling in concrete play parks. For creeking the benefit will be equally as solid. This maybe why I got 3 1/2 hard seasons out of my first seven2, Yes I did break it eventually but seven2 sold me a new Helio at cost after putting 3 seasons on the other paddle.

Sure you are going to get someone from the AT cult talking about how great their paddles are and all of that. And yes AT paddles are very durable they just don't feel natural to me. The bent shaft is uncomfortable and the flex of the shaft feels odd. In my opinion wood feels the best in terms of flex but lacks the ergonomics of the seven2 grip.

If I were going to go down that line then I would skip AT and go for a Woody.

So there is my 2 cents.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #3
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey Paul. I'd recommend staying a way from the Helio. I LOVED the paddle's design, feel, and performance. But, over the course of one summer I had to warranty two of them. The finish practically shreds. My first paddle held up for 2 months, but the next Helio only lasted one trip on the Ottawa. The Ottawa is big water... so I wasn't grinding on any rocks. After my first day, the paddle had water in it. I gave up on the Helio and looked for new paddles. I currently paddle with a Gala Sport that I absolutely love but I don't think it's the best designed creekboating paddle due to the grips being placed extremely close to the blade. I would recommend checking out the Werner Stikine... I'm thinking about upgrading before next season. It's a proven paddle with a great company standing behind it.
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #4
broken arrow, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1998
Hey paul, I have creeked and played with a werner sidekick for a long time. I just bought a new double diamond 191 to use as my playstick but I still plan on creeking with my sidekick. Since 1998 I have only used two sidekicks and I still use my first one as a backup.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote