Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-23-2013   #21
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by Sidnye View Post
a guy on the boise river drowned last week due to a board leash.

BOISE: 23-year-old drowns in Boise River | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idahostatesman.com

never seen a paddle leash on whitewater.
The story says he had the leash around his ankle, white water leashes attach around your waist like a PFD rescue vest line with a buckle and string with a ball on it to release. I've used mine and had to release it once in a playpark when my board was running rapids without me. It was intense but that guy didn't have the right gear, he paid dearly for it

I leash my board on white water, I could see not using a leash if I was running class IV or something on it but it's pretty easy to reach my cord on my waist when I need to let go of my leash/board.

I even have a convertible leash that can go around my ankle or waist.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #22
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quick release

I use a leash attached to my quick release on my pfd for my board. I usually dont have a problem getting to my board, but I just said to my friend last weekend "why am I attached to this big ass board and not my paddle?". So, I have thought about it a little. I am still not comfortable with the board leash, but I see why it is useful. The same could be said about a quick release paddle leash. Either way, I would ditch the leash in anything big enough to make me worry about it. I think quick release would be the smart way to go if you use one.

Just some thoughts.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #23
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Bomber mitts

I'm new to kayaking and was investigating paddle leashes -- connecting to boat not to self where rocks/trees are present. Kendrick, thanks! Bomber mitts look like a great solution. Do many people use them and if not, why not? Why are such accessories not discussed when I bought an IK (Aire Outfitter II) or when we took a ride down Main Payette with instructor?

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote