Old 09-02-2010   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
The landing pad I bought 2 years ago is splitting at the corner seams which makes it really hard to ride down rapids because it fills with water.

My older Paco pad is still rocking class 2 rapids on every trip- and it's more comfortable than my bed at home.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
I have an older Landing Pad. The foam is breaking down and it is not as comfortable as it used to be. 5 years (I think) of pretty heavy use. Biggest complaint is the green fabric, it gets hotter than a frying pan in the sun. I think they have switched to a better color now.
The raft valve makes an incredible difference. It inflates much faster than a JPW and you can suck the air out of it for a really small role using a pump. I have reto fitted several JPW pads with raft valves for this reason.
Overall I have been happy with the landing pad. If I would have bought JPW I may not be in the market for a new paco so soon, but I got a better return on investment with the landing pad.

woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010   #13
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Paco Pad
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010   #14
Indianapolis, Indiana
Have been using the SOTAR pads for 2 seasons now without complaint and the price can be great when they are having one of their sales.
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #15
I have a Paco pad that was over 15 years old and had been used on the Grand over 100 days a year and the plastic on the pad was worn out and cracked. I sent it back to Jack and he said the internal foam was fine and he recovered the old foam and it is now back in service and good to go for another 15 years hopefully. Jack is also very meticulous and will not re-use anything that will not hold up. You can't go wrong with the Paco pad!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #16
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Well thanks for all the input...Just ordered a landing pad, I think if I get at least 4 or 5 years out of it, it will be worth the $125 I paid for it. Although if had the cash I would have bought the Paco for sure. Some times you just have to get what you can afford at the moment.
bejonesxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #17
Fort Collins, Colorado
I just picked up a standard Paco from Jax in the Fort and paid $107. The pad was 40 percent off at their labor day sale. Now I just have to convince my wife that her thermarest is just as comfortable as the new Paco.

FCRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #18
San Juan Islands, Washington
Originally Posted by FCRock View Post
I just picked up a standard Paco from Jax in the Fort and paid $107. The pad was 40 percent off at their labor day sale. Now I just have to convince my wife that her thermarest is just as comfortable as the new Paco.

Good luck, My friends have One Paco Pad and one Aire Pad, When they set up camp she races to set up the bed so she can get the Paco Pad .
I have a couple Maravia/Cascade designs Silverbacks and a Sotar pad, Both are great quality and should last a long time but I find the Sotar pad more confortable.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #19
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
The made in the usa is a good argument. I made my own pads 4 years ago from free foam found on craigs list and fabric from Rochford. I got $40 bucks into 4 pads; my labor discounted however.

Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote