Old 08-08-2011   #1
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Paco Pad 2" or 3"??

About to buy 2 sleeping pad and wanted and welcome all advice, ideas and criticism.
Paco Pad!??!??!! Yes? No

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
Think big.....go 4" jack's plastic and sleep like a baby. You won't regret going for the best if you like your sleep and comfort.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got the 4" Paco (Silverback) and it is fairly amazing - almost as good as my bed at home.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #4
stanley, Idaho
Go 3" or the new 4" It's worth it's weight in GOLD!
idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #5
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
4 inch!
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a 2" double and a 3" single. 3" is significantly more comfortable. Especially on the shoulders when sleeping on your side after long days of rowing. The foam used is different, too. The 2" is hard foam, the 3" is soft foam. My next purchase will be 4".

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Give Ten Mile Kayak in Frisco or Down River Equipment in Wheat Ridge call and see what they have in stock so you can check out each size. The 2" paco pads use a significantly denser foam than the 3" and 4" pads. If you tend to like a stiffer mattress, you may like the 2" better. If you generally prefer softer, then you might be more comfortable with the bigger pads. I have the 3" Grande and think it is awesome. Since the grande uses the softer foam, you can compress it to the same if not even a little smaller than the 2" pad. Either way, you are getting a high quality pad. Jack's magic foam seems to last forever.
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #8
Golden, Colorado
I just got back from a Grand Canyon trip. My new Paco Pad is the only thing that I brought that I didn't use. Well, I didn't use my snakebite kit either.

I think a Paco Pad is overkill. They are huge too. Even if they were some awesome creation that I wanted to use I'd say no just because they are so large. Mine was an impulse buy when I was at AAA rigging up for the GC. I don't know what I was thinking.

I slept on my cot without a pad for 16 days and was comfortable. My wife slept on the Paco Pad the first night and didn't use it again. It was difficult to deal with a piece of gear that big. My biggest pieces of gear were (in order): 14 ft. raft, 155 qt cooler, full-sized dry box, Paco Pad, ...

That pad was strapped to the outside of my gear net for the entire trip (didn't fit under the gear net and was too big to unfold and strap across the front compartment for a passenger seat). It is like carrying a twin-sized bed mattress around with you. I'll be selling mine or maybe use it as a deluxe dog bed at home.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #9
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
Go 3" or the new 4" It's worth it's weight in GOLD!
...thats what she said!

You wont regret the 3" unless you lay on a 4" . . . which is also what she said!
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #10
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If your paco pad is bigger than your dry bag, you are doing it wrong or got the wrong one.

I use the thinner one ( Paco that is) so 2 inch I think and then I put a half inflated thermarest on it so I never have to dry the paco off either and my thermarest goes in my dry bag and life is very good.

Sometimes I take a full sized pillow and a sheet too. A fleece binky on the thermarest makes it awesomer yet, but it has to be fall so I don't burst into flame for that to come along.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote