Old 04-12-2010   #11
odessa, Texas
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Don't think I would go with anything more abrasive as the mek is softening/dissolving the top layer of your hypalon allowing you to wipe it away. If you used a brush it might be possible for you to remove more than you want. Like wiw said that stuff is highly toxic wear gloves and get a fan moving some air. Good luck!
Excellent advice about proper gloves and ventilation. MEK not only makes your hands sore, it kills brain cells. Get enough exposure to that stuff and you'll be down to monosyllables and needing help with tying your shoelaces!

lackge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #12
Fort Fun, Colorado
I have had good success cleaning our raft with applying Simple Green to a wet boat and using an old scotch-bright pad.

danadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #13
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolis View Post
MEK as a cleaner? That shit is eating away a layer of the boat. I have found that Simple Green works better than inflatable boat cleaner and it's also cheaper. Spray it on while wet, let it sit a while and scrub with a medium stiff brush. It takes some elbow grease but it's better than stripping a layer off.
Yep, people use it all the time. True it is removing some of the coating, but we're talking about a negligible amount, no more than you'd be removing with a stiff brush or scotch brite. You don't want to use it as an everyday cleaner, just to remove stains or heavy oxidation.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question seems to fit so... why would the color be rubbing off my Hyside? It seems that everyone who sits in it comes away with blue hands/feet/etc. Is this unusual? I've never heard of the color wearing off a boat before.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #15
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
NRS makes a boat cleaner, I'd use that. Easy and biodegradable (I believe) I bought a 26 year old Avon and scrubbed it with that. Good as new. Don't go using harsh chemicals, they all make their way to the river.

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote