Old 03-12-2014   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Outfitting an old Wavesport X

So I long ago hung up the kayak and started rafting but my fiance is showing some interest in wanting to try kayaking. Ive got an old wavesport X i bought used in 2003 it doesn't have any sort of adjustable mechanisms in the boat. We plan on going to the pool in a few weeks and I'd like it to fit comfortably. Back in the day i had shoved a bunch of foam in there to have something to put my feet against. If money wasn't an issue id buy something that fits well but it would be nice to see her get into and then purchase what she needs.
Any ideas out there let me know.

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would do it old school and foam it out correctly, loved my Z when I finally took the time to do it. This site seems to have a lot of options and are not too expensive - 30 bucks for a kit:

Kayak Outfitting, foam, neoprene, and accessories for your boat

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #3
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
She'd rather Kayak than raft??

Have you considered a new girlfriend?
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think wildwasser makes an inflatable outrigger, but I'm guessing you did mean outfitting.

If you had hip pads, use heat to loosen the glue. Assuming she's smaller, just glue shims inbetween the old ones and the boat. Tape 'em first to see what works.

Try stuffing towels or newspaper in a plastic bag to experiment with what her feet will need. Dial it in that way, then make better ones out of mini-cell foam.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #5
fort collinsco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I might have one of those wildwasser inflatable bulkheads in my garage bought it and it never fit in the playboat that I was paddling at the time let me know if you are interested and I will look on shelf of old boat gear
dweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #6
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Adjustable back bands are a nice way to snug up the fit of a kayak. Jackson Kayak's back band may be the easiest to install aftermarket with rope/cleat adjustments, though at $60+ not the cheapest option.

If you have the $$ you can also buy removable hip pads (WaveSport, Jackson, etc) along with some velcro patches to help secure them in. Additional foam shims can be added to bulk up the hip pads. Jackson Kayak also makes a nice pre-cut foam foot block, or you can buy a square minicell foam block and cut it down yourself to save $$. Other options are a Jackson "Happy Feet" footbag - some used ones can be found now and again.

Colorado Kayak's website has an extensive list of the items listed above. Or if you know someone who has some extra kayaks laying around you might be able to borrow the hip pads and foot block to get a cheap and quick start.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #7
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Have you considered a new girlfriend?
I think those are called "boyfriends".
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe putting an outrigger on a kayak will help that guy with side surfing issues...maybe not

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote