Old 01-10-2011   #51
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I'd like to know the forces who are really behind keeping the Toyota diesel Hilux out of the US market. I drove a double cab Hilux all over Iraq and it was unstoppable. They can have them in Canada and Mexico but I can't get one here..somethin's fishy. There's no such thing as free trade.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #52
Jenks, Oklahoma
what Theophilus said.

I have seen the diesel Tacomas all over central and south america.

Many were beat up and obviously driven a long time with not much maintenance. All were getting the job done well.

I have written Toyota asking for USA Diesel Tacomas and maybe if others did the same we could get them to listen.

I do not need a big diesel truck, a Tacoma with a small diesel would be perfect for my needs.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #53
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Besides the no diesel tacoma in the US issue, the other thing that pisses me off, is all of the sweet small campervans made by every major car maker that are not available in the US.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #54
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
besides the no-diesel and camper van issues, toyota should really be outed for not improving the mileage of their trucks. i had a '99 tacoma for quite a while, and when our son was born in 2009 i went looking for a tacoma that would accommodate a car seat. i was disappointed when i found out that the new tacomas don't get any better mileage than my old '99er did. instead of another tacoma, i opted for a dodge diesel in a 3/4 ton 2500 package, which gets better mileage than my tacoma ever did and is capable of a lot more.

and to answer the original question, as small as the beds are in the tacos, i would definitely get a regular length bed.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote