Old 12-07-2010   #21
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Here's one for the short bed.

I have an 08 DC offroad with the six speed manual. I ain't looking back either. I know it has the short bed and it is small. But heck, thats what trailers are for. So I load up my 6' x 14' tandem axle enclosed trailer and off I go. Granted I use a equalizer hitch for load leveling and anti sway cause the suspension on the truck is not up to par with a loaded trailer. But the diff lock has already proved it is worth its weight in gold. Early spring I pulled my trailer through Medicine Bow in a snow storm. Needless to say the roads were shat. Even in four wheel drive, which is actually one in the front and one in the rear drive. Not 4x4 as one would think. I was still having a hard time getting traction pulling the trailer. So time to lock in the rear diff. Cha-ching, one wheel in the front to pull the front end what ever direction I wanted it to go. And two wheels in the rear pushing me where I need to go.

I would never sacrifice the diff lock for a little extra bed space. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Nor would I ever sacrifice the strength of a manual tranny for the convenience of an automatic. Never mind the amount of vehicle control you gain from having a manual versus an automatic. Also, it's cheaper to change out a clutch than it is to have an auto rebuilt when it burns the bands and clutches.

The only thing on the list for upgrades to the truck is I'm gonna put the TRD Supercharger on it. Just to help out with towing up hills.

LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #22
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Yeah, I woulda got a locker if I could have with the long bed.I deliberated long and hard before deciding. Actually If i didnt have three kids to worry about I would have gotten the 6speed access cab TRD OR. that would have solved the bed problem. and I live in the desert, so the roads are only really bad a couple times per winter.the roads USED to get bad. right now I should go boating instead of thinking about skiing...

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #23
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Another vote for beefing the rear suspension. Put firestone air bags on the Tundra pronto. Had them on the 95 tacoma also. With the pop top camper in the Tundra leaned in the corners a little too much at highway speeds. The tacoma wasn't capable of highway travel without them. The LSD (limited slip differential) rear end offered with all Tundra TRD packages is a really nice alternative to the locker. It is a little tightly set up in my opinion, as I have never been able to make it break one rear wheel loose on any occasion. It drives around corners on dry pavement very nicely. Either truck is stellar, but the short box is not the way to go.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #24
C. Springs, Colorado
The longer the wheelbase......the better the ride
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #25
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I had an '06 Tacoma 4 door short bed. I did not like the four doors. The extended cab with the suicide door is much better. It will make the bed longer if you go with the short wheel base. Short bed = better off road... Long bed = more room + better ride on highway.

I traded the Tacoma in for a Ford F-150 and like it so much more, FYI
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #26
Carbondale, Colorado
I traded the Tacoma in for a Ford F-150 and like it so much more, FYI[/QUOTE]

I was wonder about this. What is with the loyalty to Tacomas. The gas mileage isn't that great, they're small and underpowered, and when I was looking at replacing my 1/2 ton chevy, I did look at used Taco's. For comparable mileages, used Taco's cost as much or more than used F150's or 250's in some instances. What are you paying for when you get a Taco? Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Taco's, just wondering if i'm missing something.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #27
Woodland Park, Colorado
Loyalty to the Tacoma

I know the Tacoma is not the best vehicle, especially in terms of power. I think the loyalty comes from the longevity of the vehicle. My buddy had a 99 tacoma that lasted 10 years and 275k with little more than oil changes and an alternator. I know Fords have stories like that, but I think the Toyota stories get tossed around the campfire just a little more.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #28
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
I'm on my second Tacoma. The first was a 96 extended cab 4WD totalled in 2008 with 175,000 miles. I got $8000 from insurance. Saving mine and my wifes lives, the retention of its value and the low maintenance costs over its lifetime earned my loyalty.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #29
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
My '91 had 270k and would have gone many more...had my step daughter not stole it, and blew the head gasket out in AZ. It is, in fact, still going, sold for $500 to a kid in Kingman AZ who dropped a new motor in for a hunting rig.
Like Gremlin said Toyota Loyalty is so strong going back to old 22re motor 4cyl. in the 80's... the reliability, mileage, cost of maintenance, and durability was legendary. Especially with all the junky cars over the years that fall apart after 50-100k miles....

Heres a classic Top Gear segment entitled 'Killing a Toyota' as an example... of course its a Hilux (diesel), but still awesome.

and heres one on them driving an Arctic Hilux (Holy badass Toy ) to the north pole. (drinking Gin and tonics and using a trailer hitch mounted throne for mobile shites)

That said all Toyota's been slipping with all the BS recently, but I (personally), have had NONE of the the problems that have gotten all the media attention. My truck is awesome, although these new trucks have a TON of plastic parts. but what modern car doesnt...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #30
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Loaded Down

Here's what my 2005 Access Cab with the long bed looks like fully loaded with a 16' and 14' rafts and all the trimmings for a week long trip on the Salmon River. I wouldn't want to try it in a short bed. I also recommend air bags for any 1/2 truck or less that you plan on loading down, I'm using Firestone airbags. The truck's V6 has no problem hauling the gear as well as a light weight slide in camper that weighs around 900lbs.[ATTACH]3114
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	3114  

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote