Old 07-28-2013   #1
San Luis Potosi, s.l.p. Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
opinions on FUN RUNNER 70 ?

i am 220 pounds , 6'3'' tall , class 3+/4- kayaker .

looking for a kayak that runs up to class 4 and is good at surfing - no other tricks .something longer than a playboat .

I am in Jacksons' weight range but some paddlers tolds me- that in real world i am to heavy for the boat and others claimed : i will do fine .

machgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Id up the gallons you will sit way low in the water Im about your size

flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
idk if the funrunner is the right boat. it will certainly do what you want, but i think the funrunner is kind of styled like an old school playboat.... thin and slicey for cartwheels and sternsquirts... for a a faster, higher volume, more stable, river runner i would check out a JK Zen....and for a more creeking oriented, slower, stable, easy to roll boat look at a JK Superhero. i have surfed mine a bit when the occasion has a semi-planing hull that carves fast... and surfs adequately.

i think a Zen would be the ticket.
...or a Liquid logic Remix....another top notch river runner.

!bueno suerte!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #4
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Sizes/Specs - Jackson Kayak - Whitewater Kayaks, Fishing Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks
funrunner 70 would be the right size,as it is the bigger one offered.
Zen 75 would be the right size as well.
Whitewater Kayak: Jackson Zen, River Running, Whitewater Kayaking | Jackson Kayak

after looking at the JK pages, either would work, fun runner is supposed to be a'sporty' river runner... but the Zen would be better for creeking, waterfalls, and general bigger water river running for sure. i second my opinion for the Zen as i have seen more people liking that boat around the southwest/ Colorado.... never seen anyone paddle a fun runner because in general its either playboats or creekers around here. I would love to paddle a Zen on the grand canyon, for instance, or any harder run.. i am not a class IV playboater.

as for the weight you will be totally fine. i weigh 235 and paddle a superhero and superstar. no worries!
enjoy the awesome rivers down there, i would love to visit someday......
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #5
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Does surfing include caving, Cuz if you like to carve on the wave then I say diesel 80. There is a whole lot of front surf in the diesel plus the bow sits up high enough to avoid most purls on good front surf waves. Its an amazing front surf boat!
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote