Old 08-21-2010   #11
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You'll find that WD owners say that their boat is the best. Legend owners will say theirs is the best. I have a 12.5 legend and absolutely love it. Punches big water, scrapes down trickles, surfs like a champ, etc...

I have never rowed a WD, but know a few people with them and they seem to do just fine. Either one of these boats is made for Class V boating; I bet you'll find that each boat is very similar, one wont be more solid in class V or technical water than the other.

The Sotar bladder is a small tube inside the outside tube. Very unlikley you would damage it. The inside tube is attached at the valve on one end, and in a similar position at the other. Should you damage the inside bladder you could repair just the outside bladder, pump it up and have a fully intact tube.

You can take a 30 day trip on a legend if you pack light..... I have done up to 6 days on mine. I like beer, steaks, propane, and a big tent, so unless I am with other big boats I'll take my bigger cat. The legend does fine with a decent load, but it's meant to shine when it is light.

On my Sotar I was a little dismayed that there isn't a double bottom, not sure if the WD have one either. I may have one added this winter as I find a lot of the boating I got my legend for is rocky and sharp.

The only reason i would buy a Legend instead of a WD is that the legend is the end result of over 10 years of R&D by a few very solid ID cat boaters, one in particular designed it and has tweaked it to 'near perfection' in his words.

If it comes down to $$ buy the cheaper of the 2 and spend the extra on a frame. Mttodd's frame is nothing short of baddass homebrew workmanship.

enjoy the fall doldrums...

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010   #12
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Ocelot v. WD v. Legend

With any of the above, it's still 90% boater, and 10% boat. Don't let anyone tell you you couldn't run Class V in an Ocelot.
The 12'6" Legends are lighter than the Ocelot, which doesn't make that big a difference on the water, but sure makes carrying easier.
The bigger tubes and rocker on the Legends make them less likely to get worked on the downside of a pour-over. There's a spot on the Wind that works my '02 Ocelot that the guys in the Legends just glide over.

swiftwater15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #13
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Sorry for the slight thread jack...

lhowe...what size is your Legend?? You mentioned it still handled great loaded??

I'm trying to hook up with the man, the myth, the legend (pun intended) that basically designed it (Ted, lives near Boise) demo one.

I'm thinking the 14' is going to be perfect for my purpose...but wanted your opinion.

80% day tripper, 10% over-nighter, 10% 3-4+ multi-days. The occasional co-pilot.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
The 14' Legend is a beast IMO.

There is an option to add 6" in length or 1" in width free of charge. I went with the width and have been very happy.

I still have a blast on day trips.

I can haul anything for a week and it still handles great.

People always tell me how huge it is.
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #15
Groveland, California
Finally found some specs on the 12.5 Legend, advertised weight is 47lbs., the WD is 68lbs. Is this correct?......The Legend weighs 21lbs less?

Thought I had this narrowed down to two choices.......
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a 12.5' Legend, and yes I can even surf it loaded. I'm not a really good light-weight packer either. Of course it's harder and I can't catch them all, but it's still a blast. It's a damn big little boat. Compare it to our 14' raft, and you'll see it's not as small as it might seem by the specs. I was a little worried about the small size, but he's a big boy!

Sotar's are light, esp compared to the bladder system of Aire. Quite a few Sotar catboaters skip the internal bladder to save weight, but I like the insurance for multi-days.

You will wait much longer to get a Sotar than Aire, since they are custom made.

Bottom chafe is an option, not standard and it adds weight which affects surfing. I drag the crap out of my boat, it is bomber against rocks which is one place that fabric really shines. It is weird, rocks don't seem to bother it, but I've gotten a few wear spots from straps. I recommend a top chafe for this reason so any wear is not on the air chamber.

Goodtimes it looks like your needs are essentially what I was looking at when I bought mine, and it's better loaded than I imagined.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote

class iv