Old 04-23-2012   #1
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Oar Tower Location

I am in the process of building a new frame for my raft. My current design has the oar towers behind the bow/stern centerline by about a foot or so.

In a recent thread some folks discussed their preferences for the placement of the towers and most agreed that the center is ideal.
My older boat has the towers placed this way and rows (oars) just fine.

I am curious what experiences folks have had with the oar towers in other locations (either fore or aft of center)

any info appreciated!

LongmontRafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
As far as turning a boat about its center, Centering the oars in the frame is most optimal.--- although this tends to move the weight of the rower toward the stern. For example, if you do this with no gear, rower only, then you will be light in the front because a rowers weight distribution is heavily skewed towards the stern

Having heavy gear in the center of the boat is most optimal for pivoting as this reduces the inertia required to redirect the boats orientation. Unless you dont have legs, meeting both these goals is tricky. Hence i guess captains boxes or water bottles in around the rowing foot space

If its something desired besides maneuverability this can affect your setup too. Like having weight towards the front to minimize risk of a flip in a hole. This makes it harder to spin but might be more desirable for other reasons

I once rowed a gear boat from a stern frame. Its possible but kind of the tail wagging the dog. I run my cat with the towers as centered as practical
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote