Old 04-20-2011   #1
salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Oar Pins and Clips V.S. Open Oarlocks and Oarrights

Oar Pins and Clips V.S. Open Oarlocks and Oarrights? My Driftboat has the same oars (3) as my new raft, but different oarlocks. Should I gear my raft more like my drift boat or my drift boat more like my raft.??

hpp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #2
pins and clips on a drift boat would be interesting.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #3
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Wow, you may have just opened the "Pandora's Box" of questions... Pins and clips, locks and rights, or locks and stoppers??? Some folks will try and lobby that their preferred way is the best and all who disagree are just a bunch of flat land swamp rats who can't tell the difference "tween patlin er polin". The first real WW boat I purchased was a 13' Achilles in 1984. Pins and clips were big then and I really learned to row the big water with them. I have taken that boat down almost every major river in the western US ( haven't done the Big Ditch ) with pins and clips. I have an Aire Jag with open oar locks ( locks and stoppers ) and I love it. What feels best for you? With pins and clips you know that with each stroke the blade is verticle to the water and going to get a bite (more worry free power). Oar rights are basicly the same as pins and clips. Properly adjusted clips give you the ability to pull your oars and ferry stroke as needed just the same as oar rights. Open oar locks are a whole different world. Technically more complex feel to the river and boat but you start missing the beauty of what you are floating through because one might get too focused on the damn oars... IMHO, sit in the boat... lean back... and throw the oar handles under your knees... listen to the water... the boat will tell you what it wants to be propelled with... remember,you're just the passenger.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #4
Neither, lose the training wheels......
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011   #5
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
Wow, thats some really good advice!!! Much clearer than my late night meander on the virtues of particular oar systems... hpp10, I suggest you take idaho's advice and throw your oars over board. Get some duct tape. Wrap your hands and feet into flipper like apendages. Slither into the water like a kayaker and start yellin' "I bout lost my life". ( As I said, some people are going to pull the training wheels BS but thats just it...BS, If p&c works for you, use it... )
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #6
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
OP, if you search this forum you can find a lot of discussion on this topic. You will see a lot of haters response about training wheels. I've gotten the same replies in the past when I asked that question.

I wasn't comfortable going open oar on my boat when I had my pins and clips. I like the ease of oar rights, but wanted an ability to try open oar when possible. I went with convertible oar rights, which flip up when you want an open oar.

Here is a link if you are interested:

Oar Right - Convertible Oar Right

Among my group of friends I see all three types you have listed and everyone boats just fine. It's whatever your preference really and what you are used to. Don't go for open oar because of "manliness" and having arms tired every night.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #7
Salida, Colorado
In really big water you'll find it much easier to return a dislodged oar with a pin and clip. Saved me from a few flips over the years.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
double face palm. first yet another vanguard thread and now the old pins and clips vs. Open vs rights

I don't like bondage. I do wiff about one stroke a year that I wish I hadn't but I haven't died yet.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #9
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I don't use pins/clips or any other oar devices for either my 12' Achilles or 16' AIRE Jacarundi....but on all my oars I have filed a groove in the end of the grip. The groove is perpindicular to the blade; I can "feel" with my thumbs what pitch I have the oar feathered without looking. To each his own for sure...
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #10
Paddling Since: 1994
i would think in a driftboat, especially if you are fishing, you would want open oars with rubber stoppers. there are so many fun little feathering strokes i use when rowing a fishing boat, I cant imagine being locked in.

for your raft, the convertible oar rights are sweet and have saved me some time in the doghouse for sure. she likes oar rights, i dont. voila!!!
the only thing i dont like about them is that they are big and clunky and you dont get the bite on the oarlock like you do with a rubber stopper and so it is easier to slip when using them without the rights in place. The clunkiness makes them beefy enough to perform so i think it is needed and the plastic on brass sound and feel is the nature of the beast so all in all they are great. i almost never whiff with rubber stoppers but do occasionally with the flipped back oar rights. If you want the security of every stroke(assuming they dont become oar wrongs) and you want to dabble with open oars the converibles cant be beat.

i have never used pins and clips so i really cant be one to thumb my nose, but i love feathing my oars. i think if you want the utmost security that every stroke will be there, (along with the oar) pins and clips are it. that said, i have popped a few oars and have been happy they went, out, away from me.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote