Old 04-25-2011   #51
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The benefit of posilockers is that you will NOT lose your oar unless it breaks. Some may not see that as a benefit, but I do. They can be used with rights or not, but I use rights. I'll take and post a photo later. They do have a greater range of motion than an oarlock, which may assuage some people's concerns of oars getting hung up and breaking.

My broken oar was somewhere I'm surprised both oars didn't break, upside down, and even with open oar locks (which would have let the oars pop) I wouldn't have been surprised with a break. The posi held one oar in place and when I reflipped it was the most beautiful oar I had ever seen as I went down a big drop on the wrong side and backwards.

While they are warrantied forever, that means sending them back to Ronnie to have them bent back. I bent both of mine a month ago, and one actually was bending at the weld so I decided that it will just go on the wall of fame. I bent the other one back and it is now a spare. I replaced them both will full stainless ones (vs SS shaft and steel body) as one failure I recently saw where the weld failed had rust in that weld. Full stainless should reduce this possibility. Expensive? That's relative, I wouldn't buy a $400 cooler for anything but my oarlocks, I'll pay a lot for those to work and keep my oars in place.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #52
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Pins/ clips with stirrups offer same "will not lose an oar" assurance Will grants convertibles work with posilockers?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #53
at my house, Montana
They're not exactly the same, other than the dramatically reduced likelihood of losing an oar. Convertible rights should be fine with posilockers also.

Here's why I went with posi's instead of P&C's. P&C's are a lot taller, more crap to get hung up on and possibly break when upside down. (on the other hand getting hung up on my posi's was a good thing in my last flip, it bought me time). P&C's are bigger, more stuff to get in the way, but also more things to keep you from falling out of your boat. You can't ship P&C's, something I don't do a lot but enough that I want to stick with it. P&C's can be REALLY hard to get back in, a lot of people I know says it takes two hands and they are strong guys. I'm not really interested in that. The last thing was an engineering detail that probably has no applicability to real life, that being that the oar is going to be pivoting AROUND the pin, it won't pivot on it's own center. I didn't want something new and different, so I just stuck with posi's and the oar right system. Oh yeah, and hose clamps, no thanks (even though tape can protect you from their sharp edges).
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #54
Bazzaro, World
locks and stoppers, thats my fav. I like to feel the river. Its my kayaking background, I think.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #55
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by hpp10 View Post
Oar Pins and Clips V.S. Open Oarlocks and Oarrights? My Driftboat has the same oars (3) as my new raft, but different oarlocks. Should I gear my raft more like my drift boat or my drift boat more like my raft.??
Standard shift or automatic in my 4x4, sports car, pickup truck or suv, etc. It is what works for you. I have seen skilled boatmen use both on most type's of boats. I like pins and clips. Try both and learn how to use both because in an emergency situation you may have to. There is a give and take advantage to both.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #56
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I'm always aware where the downstream oar is when ferrying. ALWAYS.[/QUOTE]

Thats all it takes. How can anyone come on here and claim the open locks or clips or any of that sh$t is dangerous? Of course its dangerous, is f'n whitewater, its supposed to be dangerous! If you spear yourself more than a few times then you probably shouldn't be rowing. If you point your downstream oar at your face, body or passangers while it is in the water then you are looking for trouble. And if you tired of your "oars popping out every time I hit a rock", lift your damn oars out of the water! It aint rocket science, you just need to pay attention!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #57
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
drinking beer on the river is dangerous. Some of those cans get really shaken up you get foam up your nose, can lead to choking or worse get in your eye ...

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote