Old 11-25-2012   #1
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
NRS Scout vs. 2012 16' RMR

I have a NRS Scout, and I am looking at adding a 16' boat to the quiver for some of my bigger trips where I need more room.

I like the dimensions and the price point of the Rocky Mountain 16' boat, but the reviews that say it is sluggish have put me off a little. Then I realized I have no basis for comparison. The only raft I have rowed is my 14' Scout, and I have no idea what its reputation for handling was in its day. I am happy with the way it handles so if the Scout was a pig, I probably wouldn't mind if the RMR is a little sluggish as well.

Does anyone have any info on how the Scout handles relative to other boats, especially if you can compare it to the Rocky Mountain Rafts 16 footer?

Most of my trips are multiday runs, usually later in the summer. Typically they are Rogue, Hells Canyon, Main Salmon at low water, and Grande Ronde type runs. I also seem to be on a Grand Canyon once every two years schedule, and plan to start rowing it rather than paddling. I have also looked at the Tributary 16.0 SB, and the AIRE 16' DD. The Tribs dimensions are not as attractive to me, and the DD is a bank breaker (especially since I only get out on multidays 3-4 times a year).

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Rows like a pig sounds subjective. Like how overloaded was it. Or how limp-armed is the guy critiquing it. Most of the time i row other peeps boat and think "this boat sucks" because its not set up the way i like it

Isnt the RMR a rip-off of some other boat? Does that boat row like a pig?

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #3
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
That's just it. If someone feels the RMR or the Scout didn't handle well I can go and look at what they have said about other boats and try to figure out how that might apply to me.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with either the Trib or the RMR (the two real contenders) to get some first hand info.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978

I have been boating since the late 1970’s and been dealing boats for ten years so I have rowed just about every kind of boat there is. I have also rowed the Grand Canyon 18 times on lots of different overloaded boats, so I do know what sluggish feels like.

I think all overloaded boats are sluggish or pigs. I think in terms of hull speed. Wide self bailing boats are slower (more sluggish) than narrower sleeker boats, and self bailing boats are always slower than bucket boats.

For the last two years I have been a dealer for Rocky Mountain Rafts, and because of the price I was a skeptic of quality and performance. I have demoed a 14’ RMRaft for my white water boat the last two years. Mostly using it on day trips on the Arkansas but I did load it for a 4 day trip on the Chama as a support boat for a group of IKer’s. I have also demoed a 12’ RMRaft the last two years as my fishing boat. I personally did not feel the 2011 and 2012 models were any more sluggish than boats of similar design.

I have been pleasantly surprised how well the RMRafts have performed. I have even tried to pop or rip them on walls and sharp rocks and am very impressed with how tough they are. Only some scratches after some really big hits.

I am so impressed that I am keeping a 12’ and a 16’ for my personal boats, because of this current manufacture sale from RMRafts I couldn’t pass up this bargain price. The 16’ will be my new big water multiday raft.

The only negative I find with these boats is they are heavy. This is because they are made of lots of very good heavy material. This is what makes them so durable.

They are making a light weight model in 1013, by special order for outfitters, but I would prefer durable over lightweight (since I’m not stacking boats on top of school buses). About the rap that they are sluggish RMRafts are moving the floor up 1” for the 2013 models. I’m not sure that will make a huge difference and we will only know after demoing the new models. I also think raising the floor will raise the load and therefore there is a trade off with that. Meaning the coolers, dry boxes, etc will be setting 1” higher in the frame, if you keep the recommended 1 ˝” spacing between the gear and the floor.

Right now we are helping RMRafts clear their 2013 inventory with a 20% sale. Check out our web site We have two 16’ers in stock a blue and a gray one.
Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote