Old 04-14-2011   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I use 7' straps on the tips, and 6' ones on the side (two each, attached to D rings). I tried longer ones for flip lines as Josh mentions, but had them spin around my oar and I did not like that.

I also have a chicken line going between the 4 d rings on the side.

For a flip line, I have two things. One is the madcatr bungee system. It is awesome once you are standing up with full tension on it. It can make getting into position more difficult when you are getting tossed around on nasty runs. I partly blamed that for the length of time it took me to self rescue on the Wind River, but once I got up I had my reflip - BAM! It's hard to imagine, that little bungee throwing your balance off, but it really does. I've also got tag lines on the inside of my frame, in case I really need something solid. However I find it hard to grip the tag line without wrapping it around my wrist, which I don't really like.

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #12
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Laura can you post some pics sometime of rigging of your boat?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What exactly do you want to see? It's really hard even for photos to show the bungee lines, unless the boat is upside down.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #14
Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Have you tried moving them back one bolt hole? I would think this could give you more stability to lean against the seatbar, with seat between legs and oars a bit ahead of you while standing
Seat between legs isn't really an option. They are perfectly placed to stand and scout, row standing up, and self rescue.

If I had access to enough material, I'd just as soon do this the full length of the drop rail, because it would make a low complexity ledge for a cooler, which would be ideal.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #15
Boise, Idaho
I'm thinking if welding a second pipe laterally interior to the drop rail. I too have thought if I do this, why not do it right and make it full length. In terms of doing it right, why not space these interior scout rails as to provide enough room to pass straps through and have even more surface area for feet, coolers, boxes, etc.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote