Old 09-28-2011   #1
kingston, New York
nrs otter advice

i recently came across a nrs otter someone had thrown away it looks like its in really good shape but has two 1 inch holes that are probably from mice. i dont know much about rafts and am wondering what i should look for after i patch the two holes. it came with an outboard motor and ill be taking it out on the hudson river to do some fishing. i want to make sure its safe and does not deflate on the water. any advice would be really appreciated.

jromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #2
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
You should have no problem patching that. NRS has good destructions for doing that yourself. Just put a patch that covers the hole at least 2 inches on each side. Maybe tape the inside of the hole so that your glue doesn't contact the inside tube. Prep is key. sand and clean, three coats of glue. thin coats.

joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #3
kingston, New York
Thanks for the help joecoolives is there anything else I should look for after patching?
Old 09-29-2011   #4
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
inflate it and see how well it holds air maybe?
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #5
kingston, New York
ha, i guess im over complicating it. that is what ill do next thank you
Old 09-29-2011   #6
sandy, Utah
Originally Posted by jromine View Post
Thanks for the help joecoolives is there anything else I should look for after patching?
Once you have the holes fixed a bottle of soapy water will tell you if there is any leaks.(when inflated). I sugest looking at all the patching info you can on the boating web site's. (NRS, Down river equipment, and riverconnection) The more you learn the more confidence you will have when you do patch it. I would even bet there are youtube video's(or there should be).
Old 09-29-2011   #7
sandy, Utah
here is NRS info. Sounds like you might want to do a sandwich patch. A patch on the inside and one later on the outside.
Hypalon Repair Instruction at
Old 09-30-2011   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Once you get those holes patched inflate it and let it sit for a few days to make sure there are no other leaks. Doing so inside a garage is best, so the temperature is the same, don't get faked out by changing pressure due to air temps. You also should check the baffles, they aren't critical when you're just looking for something free, but it would be good to know. Do this by deflating the boat, and inflate one chamber (one valve) and make sure other chambers (fed by other valves) don't also inflate. If they do, a baffle is blown. That will just mean you functionally have a 2 chamber boat instead of a 3 chamber boat.

Lastly, remove and clean the prv in the floor, it could easily be stuck or failed and you don't want that floor to blow out (they are very sensitive to temp change).
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #9
kingston, New York
thank you guys this is good information. im thinking about trying the patch aid tape as a short term fix then patching it some point later on. i inflated the section of the raft that does not have any holes and it holds air well so baffles are good. thwarts are good. i assume the prv is a pressure release valve? for self bailing but it doesnt look like i have one. i might be wrong though. im started to get really excited about this boat!
Old 09-30-2011   #10
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
time to drop some knowledge....

pretty much guaranteed it has a pressure release. it should be right next to the floor valve and looks kinda similar, just can't stick a pump in it cause it's one way(going out). x2 on checking the prv tho. they get a little bit of shit in em and don't work right and before you know it you blow an i beam in the floor. they make special wrenches to pop em out. worth the $10 investment vs blowing the floor(+ the same wrench takes the rest of the valves out if you ever need to). nrs's website sells em.
tear aid type A patches (type B only works for vinyl, A is for everything else) will hold for a small leak on flat water, but you gotta put a solid patch on it before you use it much.
clean the whole area real well, both patch and boat, with alcohol. if it's not clean the patch won't hold for shit.
get a heat gun, or even use a hot ass blowdryer. when you layer your glue on both the patch and the boat, let the last layer of glue dry then heat it up with the gun to re-activate the glue, then stick it on. then more heat while you press the patch down firm. i use a trailer hitch ball, it works great to press that fucker down tight.
use stay-bond glue. it works great on just about all boats, and definately is the best glue for an otter boat. it's a 2 part glue. mix in just a little of the activator, it should be about the color of coors light.

if you have any other/more specific questions on patching this thing just lemme know. unfortunately i have a lot of experience patching up rubber!!

...either way finding a boat like this in the trash sounds a better dumpster score than i've ever heard of!! congrats man and enjoy!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote