Old 03-30-2012   #1
Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005
NRS HydroSkin® Socks

Does any one have any experience with the NRS HydroSkin® Socks? I got a Jackson Hero this year along with a set of Teva Gnarkosi (won the shoes in a give away). Would this be a good combo? I am worried that the socks may not be warm enough for Colorado.

Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Personally I would go with Sharkskin socks. I find that they are more durable than the NRS socks. Just my 2 cents.

The Warrior of the Light Knows that eveything around him form part of his Good Fight. -Paulo Coelho
DRACO18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #3
Boulder, 80301
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks I will check them out.
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have a pair of the NRS hydro skin sox, ok to wear with sandals to offer a tad bit of protection, not much warmth.

If you want warmth go for the standard neoprene sox. Or a good pair of merino wool sox inside your neoprene kayak shoes.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I like em. they're good for a thin layer inside booties. I cant fit thick socks inside mine so they are perfect for that. I just got Keen gorge booties, 1/2 size big to fit em and my feet were happy last time i went out. my feet ALWays seemed to get cold in the past. NRS also makes expedition thickness socks, which would be better for sandals in cold water.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #6
DFW, Texas
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a pair and I like them. They fit a little loose though. Not completely fitted like a real sock. I have a pair of low cut 1.5 mil neoprene paddling shoes that I wear year round but add the Hydroskin socks in the winter for extra warmth. In Texas that is all you need. I just looked up those shoes you got and they look bulky for a WW boat.
SDA000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #7
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I use a couple different pairs:

The Seirus Storm Socks. These things keep my feet toasty warm. There's a nice thin fleece lining layer in 'em too. * Try the different sizes on before you buy, according to their sizing chart, I should be wearing a Large, but I ended up having to go with XL's b/c i could not get my foot all the way on in the Larges.* You can get these at REI stores. I wear these while skiing and snow shoeing too.
Seirus Stormsocks Socks - Free Shipping at

The other brand that I go with are these pair of Seal Skinz: 'Submerge.' These socks keep your feet extremely dry, but they are not as warm as the Storm Socks. I usually wear these for those hotter air temp days. *Pro's here are that they do not slip down your leg; they'll stay in place.
SealSkinz Submerge Waterproof Socks - Free Shipping at

Both of these fit in booties with no problem. They also fit comfortably when wearing them under drysuits.
If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #8
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I've had both SealSkins (hated them as they fell apart after a few uses and if you don't get the seal "just right" forget about being waterproof- much less warm) and the NRS socks. I use the Hydroskin socks as a light layer under my KEEN sandals for early season boating (wetsuit- not drysuit weather). Don't keep the feet dry of course- but did keep them warm. I love the Hydroskins for the keeping the chill off. For more serious winter boating (my old drysuit didn't have booties) I liked the NRS waterproof socks under my KEENS. They worked better than the SealSkins.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #9
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2004
Those tevas fall apart
Boatingbender13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have these. I bought them a size smaller than normal. I wear them under my NRS Attack Shoes. They do a nice job of keeping my feet warm as long as I'm in my boat.

Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote